Some mild mods questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first thread šŸ˜…

I have several saws but my MS440 Magnum and this new (to me) MS260 Pro are stock.

Iā€™ve had a new dual port muffler a good while that I never put on the 440 but Iā€™m planning to install it soon. Itā€™s a great running saw but I know some simple stuff will make it better.

The 260 I plan to drill the factory outlet and add additional 3/8 holes above and below it. Very nice ā€œsurvivorā€ saw and I want to keep it reliable.

My question is about gasket delete. Will both saws do well with removing the base gasket? Is it worth the time when youā€™re not porting the jug? Does it move the RPM where it makes the most power lower when no additional porting is done?

Thanks for any help.

My first thread šŸ˜…

I have several saws but my MS440 Magnum and this new (to me) MS260 Pro are stock.

Iā€™ve had a new dual port muffler a good while that I never put on the 440 but Iā€™m planning to install it soon. Itā€™s a great running saw but I know some simple stuff will make it better.

The 260 I plan to drill the factory outlet and add additional 3/8 holes above and below it. Very nice ā€œsurvivorā€ saw and I want to keep it reliable.

My question is about gasket delete. Will both saws do well with removing the base gasket? Is it worth the time when youā€™re not porting the jug? Does it move the RPM where it makes the most power lower when no additional porting is done?

Thanks for any help.
Measure squish to know if you have enough room for a base gasket delete. Most Stihl gaskets are .020" thick, ideal squish would be .020" on the 260. You can run .020" on the 440, but I usually shoot for .025" on the 70c+ saws.

IMO no real negatives to a BGD. It moves the port timing a little bit, but will improve torque. You won't suddenly end up with a saw that won't rev.

My first thread šŸ˜…

Thanks for any help.

Do you have a carb on the 260 with an adjustable high side? There is another thread up discussing that, and if you are going to drill the muffler, you'll need a carb that can be richened on the high side. I just muffler modded one myself this afternoon, drilled two 3/8" holes in the muffler, one above and one below the existing one, which I also drilled to 3/8"
I stuck a WT-194 on it, and it had to be opened up quite a bit on the high side, but it is like a totally different saw now. If I had to tear it down I might delete the gasket if possible, but since it is a good running saw with only around 5 tanks of gas through it since it was bought new, I don't want to tear into it that much.

Latest posts

Back