Spark plug thread insert?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlhead517

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased a saw the other day with the intent to flip and make a few bucks. While cleaning it up I was getting ready to pull the cylinder. I noticed that the spark plug threads looked a little off. After closer inspection the cylinder had a thread insert for the spark plug threads. Whoever did it did a good job and it was doing its job. It sure didn't affect the compression or the way it ran. My question is, does a thread. Insert affect the value of the saw? Would you sell a saw with a thread insert or should the cylinder just be replaced? When I bought the saw the seller did not disclose this to me, he may not of even known I had to look really close to see it. Let me know what you would do?
Thanks

If I was a buyer of a used saw, I would consider that to be a part of the value, but not a serious challenge to it's value.

It just means some knucklehead stripped the threads. I would definitely look at what particular style of thread repair was done. I'm not too fond of the helicoil type of spark plug thread repairs.

I do like the solid inserts. There are several different kinds of installation methods.
1684165302988.png

These are Time-Sert brand. They do require a bit more base material to install, but they are also a lot stronger than the usual variety you get at the auto-parts store. They are more expensive, too.

I would never give the difference between an OEM cylinder cost.
The solid Helicoils work fine, Timeserts work fine.

The biggest question is not the insert , but whether the installer got any debris in there doing it.

Unless you run in to the same moron that stripped the threads to start with the rep[air is not an issue.

Back