Split Leaf Maple Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael151

Reaction score
I have a split leaf maple tree that is approximately 30 years old, 20-30 ft tall. It had lots of dead limbs in the top 2/3 of the tree. I had it trimmed, but there is no signs of new growth yet. I am looking for ideas on saving this tree.
I put sulphur and iron in the ground surrounding the tree last summer, but can't see any signs of that helping.

THat kind of dieback is often associated with structural root issues. Remove soil from the base of the tree until you see the primary roots. If they're growing around the trunk, that is the problem.

A picture would help, as would the species. Acer palmatum dissectum?

clearance said:
Mike 151- two options as I see it. 1. pay some false hope selling arborist to come over and give your tree some snake oil, joy juice, or whatever. Take soil samples and make a report for $$. and see them die anyways and pay again to cut them down. 2. cut them down and plant something nice. See the tree for what it is-over, let it go.

...and besides, it's not to hard to replace one 30 year old tree with another, nicer 30 year old tree....

over what?

"See the tree for what it is-over"

Maybe it is over a septic tank and can't get up... :rolleyes:

I have had a similiar prob with a maple at my prop. After investigating, I found that the tree was girdled by a 2'' cable years ago. The tree enden up growing around the cable so it is just a matter of time.

Latest posts

Back