Split tree - What would you do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Woody

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had experience with this situation. Here is an older tree in my back yard about 3 ft diameter at base. The split goes almost to the top of the first picture where the main trunk Y's into 2 parts.. It is about a foot to 15" seperated at the top of the split. The split is probably 8 - 9 ft long. The split sections are somewhat hollowed out inside and looks like it has been split awhile. Tree height looks around 40 feet (guess) with the top of the spilt about half way up

Can it be drilled and pulled together with a big threaded rod at the top of the split and/or some straps or would that be just a waste of time?

What would you do?

That tree seems to want to keep its vigor, but...as the leaders grow in length, is the girth going to be enough to support the length? What sort of damage will be done if the defect fails? Even if the two leaders were cabled, that split is likely to become weaker and weaker over the following years as the tree continued to grow. In my opinion, you should take this tree down and plant another one.

You could run a long bolt through it, but I think you get more leverage running a cable across, up about two thirds of the way from the crotch to the top of the tree. Or maybe better yet, is to pull the top together, bolt through the cracked area, then add a cable up high.
It's a nice Hackberry, I think worth the effort to save.
A tree service would charge about two or three hundred dollars to cable and bolt.

Mike Maas said:
pull the top together, bolt through the cracked area, then add a cable up high.
It's a nice Hackberry, I think worth the effort to save.
A tree service would charge about two or three hundred dollars to cable and bolt.
agree totally. This reinforcement would likely be a permanent fix, so before you get sticker shock, prorate it. If you're going to benefit from this tree for say 30 years, and spend $300 to fix it, that is only $10/year.

Removing it would be a huge waste, leaving a big hole in your grove. texasnative, are you familiar with bracing? Unless you are very young, you cannot replace it in your lifetime. Leaving it alone would likely mean it would be ruined by the next storm.

O and Mike, believe it or not, I would NOT recommend reduction pruning on this tree. :p

Hey,

Thanks for the input. You have encouraged me to give it a try. I didn't think about or am familiar with the cableing procedure. What diameter cable is normally used and how is it fastened?

Thanks.

im bolting an ash friday,its split to the ground.

maybe your right dan,have you done much bolting?

I'm with lopa here too; the bolt/threaded rod job, known as "bracing", should take care of the crack for the most part. After that yes you could cable and/or simply reduce the branch ends slightly.

I'm sure that it could be cabled or braced, I was just thinking in terms of long-term care for the tree. Yeah, that would be great if it were only going to cost $300 for the next 30 years, but that's just not going to be the case. Maybe I was too quick to say take this tree down and plant another, but that is an awful defect, and it appears that the inclusion carries down the trunk a considerable distance from the split. I don't have any hands on experience with cabling or bracing, so maybe I should keep to myself.

imagine the drill bit you guys would need.good day guy,some type of cable next year.

treeseer said:
I'm with lopa here too; the bolt/threaded rod job, known as "bracing", should take care of the crack for the most part. After that yes you could cable and/or simply reduce the branch ends slightly.

come on guy no cutting,i dont need to tell YOU that :angel: bolt it and let it be

Back