Spring Adventures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As winter here in NY is finally coming towards an end, I find myself with a dilemma.As of now I am awaiting the spring thaw.My trusty 028 and 041 are eagerly awaiting their release. They have been in hibernation all to long.
All of my chains are razor sharp and awaiting their release on fallen hardwood from this winters hostilities. My trusty truck is also primed for the outing.
During this time era last year my wife suggested that I seek therapy for this type of behavior anomoly.Their is sort of a killer instink that awaits me forging into the unknown land, that is awaiting my pending arrival. I get a great feeling from being the first one into these lands clearing and collecting the fallen timber.
My question , Is this normal behavior for a man of 49 years of age? Will the monies spent on therapy be wasted?Could the monies be spent for a Husky 359 be a better investment? The prozac has kept me at bay for most of the winter however, I am getting the urge again to venture into the woods. All responses will be kept confidental, Ken

1- My question , Is this normal behavior for a man of 49 years of age?

YES ! You would be abnormal if you didn't feel this way.

2- Will the monies spent on therapy be wasted?

Better spend that hard earned money on therapy for the wife instead, they can always use some !

3- Could the monies be spent for a Husky 359 be a better investment?

Yes but you already have 2 excellent saws, the better investment would be to spend it on a skidder or tractor.

The prozac has kept me at bay for most of the winter however, I am getting the urge again to venture into the woods.

You and most of us, chainsaws, forests and timber is a natural anti-depressant far better than prozac.

All responses will be kept confidental.

I will keep you to your promise of keeping my response confidential.

Film clips

My buddies wife always jumps on us about seeking therapy when she catches us sitting around, having a few beers and watching the movies we made of take downs he did. For some unknown reason she insists we need therapy for watching those films for the umpteenth time and laughing. I thought watching the films was therapy or maybe it's the beer. It's still wet, cold and muddy around here. To take a break from the bad weather I'm sending a couple of used saws out to one of the members and a sthil brushwacker engine off to DozerDan for his son's go cart. Tomorrow I'm giving Bob a ported 346 to use while his 359 is being sent out to be ported and making room for another 346 DozerDan is sending me. In the mean time I did get my March issue of "Tree Services" mag to read and the new Bailey's 2005 Wild A$$ Sale catalog came. Therapy to me is standing over the vice in the shop putting an edge on the chains I have let go too long without a good sharpening. Do I need help honey? or am I just getting on your nerves being around the house too much? I'm going out to the shop to work on the saws hon. I have to ask her that to avoid being ask to go with her to look at new shoes for the upcoming trip to Germany. I talk chainsaws and she talks shoes. If it were reversed I would seek therapy.

Kenskip1 said:
My question , Is this normal behavior for a man of 49 years of age?

My impression is you will find a lot of soulmates here, so I think it's quite normal. I'm 43 and recognize the feeling.
I race the woods also, not only with a chainsaw, but with my mountainbike together with my bike buddies.
Not to forget the beer(s) we have afterwards ;) .

...the more I think about your question, the more normal I find your behaviour. Oups, there's my wife coming.... I'm outta here.

Why is it the male and female genders can view things so differently ?

As I get older (>50), I enjoy working in the woods more and more and more. Cutting firewood, milling, burning brush, gosh it's fun.

But I can't understand what keeps a guy out of the woods during the winter. That's the BEST time to be out cutting. Passes the time and keeps you in shape too.

Not that I mind shopping with a good-looking woman for her new shoes either....

Any man that doesnt like cutting trees, and hiking into the forest to get the wood is the one that needs therapy. what you're feeling is TOTALLY normal.

Lobo said:
Why is it the male and female genders can view things so differently ?

I think many psychologists have become rich in trying to answer that question. Last time I discussed this topic with my wife, she said " read this book I have, titled : ' women are from venus, men are from mars'.

My answer was : I don't have to read the book then, the title says it all !! :cry:

Lobo -- why the difference --

Here's my take FWIW -- going right to the bottom line: God made women's brains "better" than he made yours and mine, in the sense that their minds can notice, collect, file and sort out, more [undescribed] information in a split of an eye, than you or I would ever could -- the difference is like a 586 computer (female) v. a 286 (male). (Any women reading this ... be warned, you still need us men!) Women need our single mindedness and power of long concentrated focus, that aspect of our minds actually *helps their faster brains get through the day (e.g. they *need our "stupidity"). We on the other hand, are smarter when we (1) first *respect the significantly higher capacity of the female brain to observe and collect information (I personally find God's design of the compatible uniquenesses of the male and female souls to be a quite beautiful design--e.g I couldn't have done it better myself! LOL), and (2) learn how to ... put that higher information gathering ability of the female mind to good use. JMHO.

Latest posts

Back