stack of boards from walnut milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Forgot to throw in pic of the stack of lumber at the end of the couple days. Here it is in the rough. I was running out of daylight at Bowman Farms, so to save time on a couple of the logs I just used the Alaskan to slice into 16/4 and throw that into the van. Then later here at home take off the bark and sapwood freehand with the 365 and use the Ripsaw to finish slicing into 5/4 or 8/4. Here is the stack right from milling before I cleaned up things and did that. The first three stacks are walnut, the last one on the right is cherry I also need to clean up and finish milling before I sticker it all.
walnutboards.jpg

Someone asked if I had pics of how I attacked that crotch. No... didn't take any of that this time. Basically I usually freehand a 14 inch wide cant with the 28" bar on either side of the crotch, parallel with the two branches orientation before milling boards from that with the Ripsaw. Yes often you sacrifice some sections of other strait wood in that log to do that, especially when the crotch is not even (two branches are not same dia). But, I find I get the best crotch figure that way. If I mill the crotch perpendicular to the two branches I still get crotch figure, but not as wide, and not always as nice. Again, crotches are a crapshoot. My experience is about half are good, the others have problems. Small sections of rot, or there is a split or small bark voids. Still good wood, and you can fill those voids and do other things though. But the beautiful 8-12 inch wide 3 ft long pure crotch figured board is somewhat elusive. Once in a while you luck out and get one, and then SOME of them dry without too many cracks and you really luck out.

That's what I'm talkin about! Looks great. I'm going to second that are you tired.

Shhhhhhhhh, I think woodshop is sleeping.:laugh: All jokes aside I know that my a$$ would be dragging after a day of milling that stuff.

Like I said guys... the best part about milling is you get to burn calories and have fun at the same time. The wood you take home is just the icing on the cake.

Nice stack of walnut. Hopefully I'm going to get some time off to saw my pile of logs soon.
Is the big cant in the middle of the of the second stack only 16/4???? It looks over 6" thick!!! Are the side clear boards 4/4 or 5/4? Can't tell scale.
Nice stack in any case.

woodshop said:
Like I said guys... the best part about milling is you get to burn calories and have fun at the same time. The wood you take home is just the icing on the cake.

I kind of look at it the same way. Great exercise, pretty cheap way to spend a day, and, you get some wood.

Think about it. You burn a couple of gallons of gas milling, and you have really done some work.

Mark

aquan8tor said:
Is the big cant in the middle of the of the second stack only 16/4???? It looks over 6" thick!!! Are the side clear boards 4/4 or 5/4? Can't tell scale.
You are correct, that large thick chunk of wood in the middle stack was actually almost 9 inches thick before I sliced it into mostly 5/4 this afternoon with the Ripsaw. Most of the thinner stuff you see in the top of the first stack (going left to right) and bottom of the third is also 5/4. Actually, when I say 5/4 it is really only 1 1/8 thick, so little less than 5/4. With 1 1/8, after shrinkage and couple passes through the planer I get my 3/4 inch lumber used for much of my product in the shop. I sliced the remaining stuff mostly a full 8/4 so I end up with 1 3/4 after planing, which is what I need for my nutcracker stock. I can always resaw and get thinner stock out of thicker stuff, but not the other way around.

Back