starting a flooded saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Title says it all. What sequene(s) should be used once a saw floods. I'll admit it is my fault. I usually forget to flip the switch on my 394 when I'm milling (to woried about geting my other setting right). It can be frustrating. I usually get it going but I'm sure there is a routine to follow if it happens.

Thanks,
Doug

take the plug out, flip the saw upside down and pull it over a couple times to get any extra fuel out of the cylinder.

Wipe the plug off with a clean towel or napkin, put it back in and don't use the choke. Should fire on first or 2nd pull, if not, take plug back out and use a lighter, small torch on the plug to dry it up, or just replace the plug. You can save the other one for when it dries out.

I started a flooded 361 last week simply by holding the throttle full open with one hand, securely holding the saw with another hand and having a friend pull the starter cord. It started up on the third pull and cleared itself up.

I started a flooded 361 last week simply by holding the throttle full open with one hand, securely holding the saw with another hand and having a friend pull the starter cord. It started up on the third pull and cleared itself up.

+1 works on most engines.

Thanks for the replies. So hold throttle open and pull after swapping or drying the plug. With the choke on or off?

Doug

Flooded saw:

Thanks for the replies. So hold throttle open and pull after swapping or drying the plug. With the choke on or off?

Doug

Choke off, of course. If the saw is badly flooded, turn the switch off, pull the plug and clean/dry it, hold the throttle wide open, pull her over a few times, reinstall the plug, turn the switch on, install the plug wire and give her 4 or 5 pulls. As said she should start or at least pop. If she is lightly flooded, that is no gas running out the exhaust then just open the choke, leave the switch on, open the throttle wide open and crank till she starts. In either case if the saw pops and will not start, then recheck the plug, make sure she's clean/dry and firing. Reinstall the plug, attach the wire, make sure the switch is on and pull her over again a few times, then use the choke if need be. JMO. Lewis.

A few pulls with the plug out is a place to start, parden the pun.

Heating the plug with a propane torch cooks/sweats the washed in deposits in the plug, drys the porcine and putting the plug back in 'HOT' , gives the saw little chance but to fire!

I like the WOT throttle method cause it is faster than pulling the plug. I do not have a partner so I use the my foot thru the throttle area to hold the saw. That does not always work, like removing the plug. When it dont work I put the saw down and use another saw for a tank or 2 and when I come back the flodded saw fires right over. If you are fortunate to have 2 or more saws that is really a time saver.

I like the WOT throttle method cause it is faster than pulling the plug. I do not have a partner so I use the my foot thru the throttle area to hold the saw. That does not always work, like removing the plug. When it dont work I put the saw down and use another saw for a tank or 2 and when I come back the flodded saw fires right over. If you are fortunate to have 2 or more saws that is really a time saver.
+1

take the plug out, flip the saw upside down and pull it over a couple times to get any extra fuel out of the cylinder.

Wipe the plug off with a clean towel or napkin, put it back in and don't use the choke. Should fire on first or 2nd pull, if not, take plug back out and use a lighter, small torch on the plug to dry it up, or just replace the plug. You can save the other one for when it dries out.

+1
I adopted this exact methodology a ways back and it has worked for me 100% of the time. I always carry a lighter for this reason when I'm cutting. Of course, you always get strange looks when by standers see you trying to light/smoke a spark plug! In addition, this certainly beats my old style way of starting a flooded saw. What was that might you ask? You know, the old "pull until you're blue in the face, get dizzy, fall over, get po'd, swear a lot, etc, etc,........"

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you all very much!

Doug

Pull plug, wipe off excessive fuel, check for fouling, light match (WOOD matches work the best), hold into plug hole for a second (DO NOT DROP ANY JUNK IN THERE), it will burn out extra fuel, re-intstall plug, if no fire after that, hold throttle wide open with no choke and pull. Rest your saw's bar on a clean log while pulling.

Pull plug, wipe off excessive fuel, check for fouling, light match (WOOD matches work the best), hold into plug hole for a second (DO NOT DROP ANY JUNK IN THERE), it will burn out extra fuel, re-intstall plug, if no fire after that, hold throttle wide open with no choke and pull. Rest your saw's bar on a clean log while pulling.

By far the easiest method to start a flooded saw is to start it before it's flooded. Much easier to train a dog to crap outside than to clean his crap up every time he goes. :)

By far the easiest method to start a flooded saw is to start it before it's flooded. Much easier to train a dog to crap outside than to clean his crap up every time he goes. :)

Good 'un, Space. I don't rep Stihl bashers often, but that post got you some. :)

Sometimes the 'ol dog just can't help it, either the owner neglected to pay attention to his needs, the poor thing might be just a little pinkid or maybe he was fed the wrong/bad food.

Lewis hit a real improtant point in saying turn the switch off if you pull the plug. Because even if your saw won't light off with the plug in, it certainly will with the plug out. My first ( and hopefully last ) experience with this came from an echo PB 9 blower. Had it on the bench, pulled the plug, gave it yank on the rope, it threw a flame straight up that would have made the boys from cirque du soleil go to pucker factor 9. Thank goodness there were high ceilings. This is probably is alot less likely to happen these days because electronic ignitions can't through a spark at low speeds like the old points and condenser systems could.

open flame and gas fumes a recipe for disaster IMO

Scott

I tried the "flameout" method last time the snowblower got flooded, had a nice 3rd degree burn on my index finger, just waved the lighter over the plug hole, and woof!, chief smoking paw! Not recommended. I'd probably still try it with a barbeque lighter, though! The flame reminded me of the homemade pulsejet engines they make from glass jars.

Latest posts

Back