Stihl 011av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashagn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought the saw off of Ebay a bit ago and have used it almost every weekend to trim up with. Runs like a raped ape. But recently after using for about 10 min it bogs down at WOT like starving on fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and cleaned the tank out. Took it out yesterday and went at it again. after same amount of time same problem. Did some researching.. i pulled the carb off (walbro) and opened op to check screen.. screen was clear but i carb cleanererd it and compressed aired it anyways.. reinstalled carb. was inspecting fuel line.. and on the "other" line.. not the 1 going directly to carb.. What i found was a set screw in the middle of the line in about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. I proceeded to insert a jewelers screwdriver and removed the setscrew.. Now I'm kinda think in this might be like finding a squirrel in the oil pan on your pickup engine in some sorts. Dont look like its supposed to be thier. Put everything back together.. ran saw .. runs great .. until bout 10 mins later and bogs down and having to choke it to keep running.. then wait at idle then will run at WOT for abit the starve. Any ideas? am i looking on the wrong end? maybe muffler problem? Any ideas would be more the appreciated

Last edited:
First, put the set-screw back in... it's in the vent tube to restrict the gas from flowing out, but to allow air back to make up for any tank vacuum.

Your symptoms do seem like tank vent problem. Do a test - run it with the gas cap loose. If it works, replace or clean your vent tube - it disappears down behind the carb and terminates in the chain cover area ina pad of sponge.

Check the fuel filter is inserted DOWN to the bottom of the tank in the slot at the far side of the tank. It's hard to get the 011 fuel filter in the right position, and often they are just sucking foam off the top of the tank. If you can see it, it's in wrong.

Sorry wolves, the 011 doesn't have a venting cap.

My 028 has that same "screw in a piece of clear tubing" vent setup. It got real dusty and some tiny piece of dust clogged one thread on the screw inside the tube and it ran just like yours. After an expensive tuneup at the dealer it ran the same way. I got pissed and took half the saw apart and scrubbed everything surgically clean and found the tiny bit of dirt in the threads on that screw. I cleaned it and it has run good ever since. Put the screw back in and make sure the threads and inside of the tube are perfectly clean so the air can vent up around those threads.
Finnbear

Alrighty, great. Thanksfor the ideas. when i get off of work ill clean all the lines out and put set screw back in. and check the filter

Well.. i pokje the filter down were i couldnt see it..at the verybottom of the fuel tank. I cleard the fuel lines and reinserted the set screw. Same problems. Wished i had it this weekend. Got fed up with the dang thing i took it 5 miles down the road to a "small engine Tinkerer" told him everything i did. Said he would have it back to me ASAP

I always had problems on my 011 with the breather. The breather tube came out right by the clutch. Stupid place, in my opinion, because if you did any cutting, the tube clogged with sawdust. Not that bad of a little saw, though. Sure beat my junk 32cc Mcculloch that failed after 1 cord of wood (I got it brand new for $10 at a garage sale; it just didn't run, I quickly fixed a factory error, kinked fuel line, but the oiler stripped out, and the clutch failed, too). But, my 039 beats the 011. :D

hamradio said:
I got it brand new for $10 at a garage sale; it just didn't run, I quickly fixed a factory error, kinked fuel line, but the oiler stripped out, and the clutch failed, too.

That kinked fuel line was a design feature to prolong the life of the saw.:D

I think Ive expended more foul language at those lil POS saws than all other swearing combined.:bang: Anymore if I even see one of them saws I turn and head the other way.:help:

I wasn't going to say it, for fear of some Mcc enthusiast, but it was a real piece of crap. Terrible. Burned out the clutch in a cord of wood. Shut off half way through logs. With a fully sharp Oregon semi chisel chain on it, it still took minutes to go through 1' diameter oak logs. And that didn't include having to start the dang thing up 2 or 3 times again, while cutting. The oiler stopped working; I tore it down today, for practice on porting cylinders, and that ultra heavy duty plastic worm gear assembly in the oiler is stripped. Obviously not designed for repair. :D It took some thinking to figure out how to get the gas tank off. I had to pull the flywheel to remove the gas tank. My 011AV (old style, like an 010), though not that much bigger, could run circles around that thing. I almost bought a Jonsered 2050 turbo, for a bigger saw, but got an parts 039, and rebuilt it. Nice, big saw, for me at least. I've only used one bigger saw- an 044. I've used an 038, my 039, an 044, my Olympyk 935DF, my 011, some 45cc or so Dolmar, and that cheap Mcc. I've also used an MS210. Not enough saw for me, and I don't like it very much. Neither does my friend who owns it, who also has the 044. He bought the 210 for a lighter saw. I've also messed around with an old 041 Farm Boss. That saw had some compression! I also had some old Homelite saw, with a compression release laying around, and a little Skill chainsaw. I also made my own clearing saw.

good to here more discussians.. The 011av would rip right through the wood. Was a screamer would almost keep up with the husky 51 but i dont like to work that little saw that hard. Even though it was a good saw and when i do get it back from repair shop, Iam gettin me a husky 137 or 142 to help me out for the trimmin parts. Usin the ole jonsered 52e and the husky kicked my arse this weekend just usin them for trimmin. And i got 2 more tree jobs lined up just from word of mouth. Had to turn 1 down today, went to go look at the 2 trees and they were out of my league. only 50 some ft tall.. but i didnt like the way they leaned toward the house. Told the lady I dont have climbing gear and didnt prefer to climb since i didnt have the safety equipment. She replied very understandable, Glad you told me the truth. "do you do yard work as in planting shrubs? i most certainly do, just gimme a call. you buy em ill plant em for ya. Another job i might do some trading.. hes got a set of spurs and climbing sadle/harness.. that or a nice older cub cadet with tiller.. woohoo.. And thats with him helping

hamradio said:
I always had problems on my 011 with the breather. The breather tube came out right by the clutch. Stupid place, in my opinion, because if you did any cutting, the tube clogged with sawdust. Not that bad of a little saw, though.

Did you have the sponge end on the tube to keep the sawdust out?

Not the best idea, but they made this design for about 25+ years ending it last year on the 009.

Latest posts

Back