Stihl 017

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFORD79

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up a used Stihl 017 saw this weekend for $25.00. The saw currently is not running but seems to have great compression when pulling the rope. What is the general opinion of this saw? The saw appears to be in great shape and looks to have had very little use. Was this a low end home owner saw or is there some quality here?

I picked up a used Stihl 017 saw this weekend for $25.00. The saw currently is not running but seems to have great compression when pulling the rope. What is the general opinion of this saw? The saw appears to be in great shape and looks to have had very little use. Was this a low end home owner saw or is there some quality here?

Probably 1 of Stihls lowest end home owner saws but don't let that bother you. I've seen tree services with them using them for their bucket saws regularly, as a matter of fact last winter got a couple off 1 and another from another, sold 1 to a farmer and been carrying 1 in my pickup for the dirty work or to cut up small trees that fall in my paths, still need to fix the starter and maybe a part or 2 for the other. And I recently took another in trade needs a little work. Usually I see them go 100 to $150 on ebay working. I think not long ago they were something like $179 new. If your a serious woodcutter you would benifit from a larger saw as its not designed or meant to be cutting 20" wood but is very useful for trimming,limbing or cleaning up small trees now and then. 12 or 14" bar is probably best on it, if needed, you could do ok with 16.

Back