Stihl 024 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loghead91

Saw Addict
Reaction score
So i picked up an 024 for pretty cheap just for something to play around with porting myself and 2 Chinese no name cylinder/piston kits just so if I screw up it’s no big deal. Was reading in the chainsaws for sale pages about freeporting. Might be a dumb question but Would freeporting cause an overly rich condition? Only port work I’ve done so far is widen the exhaust and shape the intake. Nothing taken off the roof or floor of exhaust port. Just no base gasket and a small dual port cut/fold in the muffler. It runs great while in a cut and pulls hard for how small it is. But around idle it loads up and blows a lil fuel out of the exhaust.. maybe it doesn’t like the half assed dual port at idle, I’ve read on here that some saws don’t react well to opening the mufflers up. Any ideas would be appreciated. Never had any of my saws throw fuel out the exhaust. It tuned in great up top but having issues on the low side. If you keep it a lil off idle it shows no signs of any problems, but if you leave it set a second and try to get back In it, it bogs around and throws fuel. Even tho it’s still idling like it should. Have it completely apart again painting cases for the hell of it and putting new bearings/seals in. Compression was at 175lbs. Squish .019

Attachments

• 847F4618-FBB8-417A-947B-29B905838ACF.jpeg
    847F4618-FBB8-417A-947B-29B905838ACF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
So i picked up an 024 for pretty cheap just for something to play around with porting myself and 2 Chinese no name cylinder/piston kits just so if I screw up it’s no big deal. Was reading in the chainsaws for sale pages about freeporting. Might be a dumb question but Would freeporting cause an overly rich condition? Only port work I’ve done so far is widen the exhaust and shape the intake. Nothing taken off the roof or floor of exhaust port. Just no base gasket and a small dual port cut/fold in the muffler. It runs great while in a cut and pulls hard for how small it is. But around idle it loads up and blows a lil fuel out of the exhaust.. maybe it doesn’t like the half assed dual port at idle, I’ve read on here that some saws don’t react well to opening the mufflers up. Any ideas would be appreciated. Never had any of my saws throw fuel out the exhaust. It tuned in great up top but having issues on the low side. If you keep it a lil off idle it shows no signs of any problems, but if you leave it set a second and try to get back In it, it bogs around and throws fuel. Even tho it’s still idling like it should. Have it completely apart again painting cases for the hell of it and putting new bearings/seals in. Compression was at 175lbs. Squish .019

Free porting would not cause over rich condition and how did you get a free port condition with an 024? The rich fuel is most likely due to a carb tune than any port work.

Don't these have an issue with fuel puddling/loading up at idle or is that just the 026?
The 026 reportedly does but mine do not, not sure if the 024 has this same reported problem. I can tune the 026 so that it does not and always figured that the reported problem with 026`s is that they are tuned too rich to compensate foir the hard start problem caused by the choke not fully closing.

Didn’t say I did get a free porting issue. I was asking if it caused rich condition like blowing fuel.....

I did read about the fuel pooling on the supers and 026s. I’ll figure it out just curious if anyone had similar issues. It’s got the wt 194 on it. Guess I’ll try to tune the overfueling out again once it’s back together

Back