Stihl 026 Air leak or carb ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good idea and it's what I would do.
From the sounds of things the carb is just too lean, which almost all of those fixed jet 260 carbs were.
Although a P and V check isn't a bad idea.

I had a very low hour 260 doing almost the same as well. Fuel line was cracked, replaced that and it was still doing the same, just not as bad. Swapped a WT194 on, and stuck a new impulse line on as well for good measure, and it ran like a new saw.

I will replace this non adjustable carburetor regardless.
No worries, yep nice to have an adjustable one. As Jerry said, WT 194 seems to be the go. Not certain what mine is on my 260, but has a bypass drilling in the main jet, though it doesn’t seem to affect the range in which I tune it at so I leave it.

Then again I don’t modify or port anything. It’s bone stock, even taking the modified muffler off and putting an original, but with a spark screen, back in.

IMG_1065.jpeg

OK. I put the new carb on this morning. Assume it is a WT194, didn't think to look. Only OEM Stihl carb available anymore.
I never touched any adjustment other than to idle it down a little. Settled down around 13,600 no load. Sounds good.
Out the door she went.
In the future keep in mind the WT194 is still available from Walbro. I bought several off ebay.

No worries, yep nice to have an adjustable one. As Jerry said, WT 194 seems to be the go. Not certain what mine is on my 260, but has a bypass drilling in the main jet, though it doesn’t seem to affect the range in which I tune it at so I leave it.

Then again I don’t modify or port anything. It’s bone stock, even taking the modified muffler off and putting an original, but with a spark screen, back in.

View attachment 1116450
Tom, can you explain bypass drilling?

Tom, can you explain bypass drilling?
Sure, a bypass is a jet or drilling that bypasses the H adjustment screw which will constantly feeds the engine regardless of the position of the needles. They’ll be most often found in the top of the brass main nozzle, if not, you’ll find them as a brass jet that has a flat head slot in. They limit the effectiveness the H screw.

OK. I put the new carb on this morning. Assume it is a WT194, didn't think to look. Only OEM Stihl carb available anymore.
I never touched any adjustment other than to idle it down a little. Settled down around 13,600 no load. Sounds good.
Out the door she went.
Hope you meant 1360 and not 13,600 lol OT :cool:

Sure, a bypass is a jet or drilling that bypasses the H adjustment screw which will constantly feeds the engine regardless of the position of the needles. They’ll be most often found in the top of the brass main nozzle, if not, you’ll find them as a brass jet that has a flat head slot in. They limit the effectiveness the H screw.
Thanks Tom

Latest posts

Back