Stihl 029 Super Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbike01

Reaction score
I have a fairly new 029 super, with about 10 hours on it. I loaned it out ( I know) never do that again. Well user refilled with raw gas. Needless to say the piston and cylinder are scored on the exhaust side. The saw still turns over so it didnt sieze, however inspection proves (taking off the muffler) that piston is shot, The cylinder (inspecting from the spark plug hole) is certainly dinged up but possibly worthy of a hone job. Question Are these cylinders on Stihl's chrome lined? And i am guessing if they are Chrome lined that honing is out of the question. Thanks for your help on this saw.

The 029S is nikersil, not chrome. It can be honed, carefully, but you need to use a ball hone because of the open 4 port design - the "Brake Cylinder" type hones will catch in the ports. Take off any excess aluminum transfer with Muriatic acid first, and hone with fine grit balls.

The piston is a pain to put in unless you a have the $4 ring guide. It's possible but a bunch of messing around. If you're carefully, you can reuse the crank seals. They are $15 each, so... If you get a replacement piston, make sure its the right size for the super - 1mm bigger then "std".

Back