stihl 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatball

Reaction score
working on 044 picked up on craigs list for 30.00 wouldnt start after inspection i found the piston had gotten really hot at the exhaust port and seized piston ring in the piston groove it scored the cyl wall a little the rest of the saw looks good has 26 in bar 2 new chains im going to replace piston and cyl wanting to know who makes a quality piston and cyl or should i find a used stihl piston and cyl i am only using it around the farm i have acollection of saws ive collected off craigslist for nothing this is the first one that needed work so i thoght id play with it a little since i dont have anything in it im going to work on muffler and polish exhaust was wondering about milling a little of the bottom of cyl to raise comp a little any body knows how much to take off and after doing it will the stock carb be able to be richened up enough to compensate for extra comp

Search "Measuring Squish" a lot can be gained by simply removing the base gasket. With quality sealant you can achieve substantial gains. Not gonna run optimally until you correct the port timing from removing the gasket.

Back