Stihl 050av starter FM to Pawl type conversion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sn0wy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys firstly great help on the site so far much appreciated!.

Long story short, currently have a stihl 050av resto project underway and really trying to see if this conversion is possible. I have upgraded my coil with the new type coil with built in elec module. The ran but badly! (no power) from what I can see and from what you guys say its out of time as it was using the points style flywheel that was on the saw originally...so I have the new type pawl flywheel and so I have the new type pawl recoil (to which I think its the wrong one! :( ) part number 1117 190 1011, I think this as the hole in the center is too small!.. it will not fit over the pin in the fan housing the mount it.

So questions..

1. is this pawl type recoil the wrong part? is so which one is right as there are others (single pawl)
2. Can I change the pin in the fan housing, as it unscrews?
3. IS this actually possible?
4. If its possible, do I need to change the WHOLE fan/gas tank assembly to make it work?

5.....OR do I just bite the bullet and go back to points/condenser as original

my current pin for the starter

2eg6ulj.jpg

the 2 types side by side

bhwuw2.jpg

the current items Im confused with!!! lol

2ine9v.jpg

I know the pin does unscrew. Not sure if the pawl sheave will work with the old spring and housing? Also the depths of the sheave may be different when converted, I dont know. I bought a newer style tank with pawl setup ready to go from an AS member. I'm interested to see how you make out!

I know the pin does unscrew. Not sure if the pawl sheave will work with the old spring and housing? Also the depths of the sheave may be different when converted, I dont know. I bought a newer style tank with pawl setup ready to go from an AS member. I'm interested to see how you make out!
ok cool, well if i have to go down that road I will, any chance I could have the part number on your fan/gas tank housing you are using so I can start the search? also what would one cost?

cheers

IMG_0673.JPG IMG_0674.JPG the part number on the recoil assembly is 1111 084 1005. I still have not installed it on the saw to see if its going to work. Im about 100$ into this now. I should have followed Pogo's advice and just ran the dam thing with 2 broken fins :cool: Got 2 056 mag 2's on the bench now that seem to have my attention, dont ask me why but I think CAD is behind the wheel! Good luck!!

a
View attachment 345621 View attachment 345622 the part number on the recoil assembly is 1111 084 1005. I still have not installed it on the saw to see if its going to work. Im about 100$ into this now. I should have followed Pogo's advice and just ran the dam thing with 2 broken fins :cool: Got 2 056 mag 2's on the bench now that seem to have my attention, dont ask me why but I think CAD is behind the wheel! Good luck!!
Great stuff!!!! much appreciated! will let you know how i get on

The last few pages of the 050/051/075/076 thread cover the subject fairly well also. As mentioned there, if the cup recoil setup is hosed, you may get lucky (depending on Stihl dealers in your area) and be able to locate an OEM refurb kit for the assembly.

Good luck with it!

Latest posts

Back