Stihl 056 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KUBOTA OWNER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the correct part number for the Bosch flywheel? or have one they would sell?
I'm thinking my only option to repair is to install the German replacement unit but it needs the Bosch
flywheel. ---Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

This thing is driving me crazy, took it apart again after checking for spark. Took the gas tank and carb off so I could inspect the kill wire because there are spots that were bare, but did not find anywhere it was touching ground as far as I can tell. Taped up and reinstalled the module and coil.
Put the flywheel on and spun it over with my impact. Great spark!! But this is the way its been acting up. --So now do I put it all back together to have it run for 20 seconds like last time??
The good new is that it does have a lobe on the crank that I can see so I may be able to find a
point set up. --- I'm to stubborn to not get this running.
Here's another question.? What models with a points set up will work? and what kind of flywheel?

Here's another question, If I go with a points set up what models will work? Do I need a different
flywheel too?

Does it have the Bosch ignition now ? That is the failure mode, they get hot and lose spark.
But, why would you need another flywheel unless you are converting it to SEM ?
SEM is more reliable but the flywheel is different and harder to find.
I'm thinking the 045 points, condenser, flywheel will work.
But, me thinking. Somebody needs to confirm that.
You can buy a new SEM module, and I'm thinking somebody is making the Bosch module new as well.

My system is a SEM, from what i can tell it very early. If it has electronic spark why
would it have a crank with a cam lobe? some one may have changed it over at some point.
I would just buy a sem unit if i could find one. Saw is in great condition and has a lot of power
I wanted to use it on my Alaska mill. My husky 272 works ok but not so much on big wood.
IMG_2574 (3).jpg

My system is a SEM, from what i can tell it very early. If it has electronic spark why
would it have a crank with a cam lobe? some one may have changed it over at some point.
I would just buy a sem unit if i could find one. Saw is in great condition and has a lot of power
I wanted to use it on my Alaska mill. My husky 272 works ok but not so much on big wood.
View attachment 1091512

No, that is a Bosch.

Search eBay for a new Bosch 056 module. They have them.

I thought that it had a cam lobe on it! They may have been using up old stock cranks or left a downgrade path if the electronics proved problematic. Somebody with the old Stihl Tech notes documentation might be able to shed more light on this.

This thing is driving me crazy, took it apart again after checking for spark. Took the gas tank and carb off so I could inspect the kill wire because there are spots that were bare, but did not find anywhere it was touching ground as far as I can tell. Taped up and reinstalled the module and coil.
Put the flywheel on and spun it over with my impact. Great spark!! But this is the way its been acting up. --So now do I put it all back together to have it run for 20 seconds like last time??
I would disconnect the kill wire completely to rule it out. If you need to kill the motor you can always choke it.

You can also try heat soaking the coil (or whole saw) with a heat gun or put in in an oven at about 150 degrees and see if the spark disappears.

Thanks for responding, This afternoon I got it to the point where I heated the module with my
heat gun until the potting started melting. I also heated the flywheel so it would keep the until hot while I was checking for spark. I had to wear a welding glove to put the flywheel back on. Only took a second to line up the keyway and spin it over with my impact on the clutch. Still had a good 1/2 bright blue spark!!
Tomorrow If the wife don't know I'm going to stick the unit in the freezer for a couple of hours
and test again. --- intermittent problem are always the worse. Hard to throw parts at it if you can't
find any!!

No, that is a Bosch.

Search eBay for a new Bosch 056 module. They have them.
Nope, the OP is correct, that’s a SEM GE. Good thing we’ve got the interweb for pictures & information, lol.

I’d just be patient & source a new Selettra branded SEM GA module and a used 1115 400 1205 Stihl flywheel, then you’re all done with ignition problems for 10-15 years.

Back