Stihl 08S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondy99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello again,
I have a very old Stihl 08s Chainsaw, without the safety brake,original German built. I have pulled it apart as it has never been serviced and was getting to the stage where it took 20 pulls before it fired up. I removed the plate containing the points and condenser. However, I could not feel any oval or other that makes the points open and close. Can anyone let me know what part makes the points open and close.

I appreciate the Stihl 08S workshop manual that someone provided me on this forum, however the images in the manual are not clear and are hard to see.

Regards,
Bondy

@ belgian. You mean that sits below the fan blades? If so, I have done so and still cannot find any oval shaped shaft, all smooth , the only thing I can see is an octogonal shaped thin metal at the top.

I'll take a photo of it and post here late tomorrow evening about 7.00pm (Queensland Australia Time)

The timing cam is not on the crankshaft, but on the interior hollow shaft of the flywheel. You need to pull the flywheel in order to see it. Can you see the points opening while you turn the magneto flywheel ? below is a pic of a simular flywheel (not 08S), where you can notice the cam if you look a close look.1592161802452.png

Hi belgian,

Oh yes, now I understand how it works, yes, the one I have does have a slightly oval shape. I turned the flywheel over from the other side of the shaft but could not see the points opening.
I did not have the correct puller for the 08s, had to get lawn mower shop to remove the pulley , they charged $40.00 to remove the head.

The points look very black. the part that runs on the shaft looked worn.

I tried to get a reading on the condenser with a multimeter but nothing happens. maybe I have the wrong settings. Condenser has been removed from its' holder.

You can't test a condensor with a multimeter,but they are usually ok. Just clean the points to a nice finish with emery cloth,set the gap at .015",and it should be good. You can replace them with new if you can find the parts,great. But one thing to know with new points,they usually come with an anti-corrosive grease on the contact surfaces,remove this with a cleaner like laquer thinner first or they may not work at all,I've seen this happen many times. Even when you clean points,degrease them after,they are finiky about that.

trappermike,
Thanks for letting me know about the condensor, that explains why I could not get a reading. Thanks for the tip about points, I can get new points but bit they are pricey. Problem with the points, although they are black, I could not see the points open as such so I was wondering whether the plastic part that makes contact with the shaft has worn.
It has had a hard life, I got it from an elderly person who had a contract with a Victorian State power company to remove trees and trim a lot from overhead powerlines. Hence its about 1985 vintage. I've had used it many times, strong motor but has been hard starting on some occasions. Last time it took about 15 pulls to get it to run.

Back