Stihl 660 and 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drillerman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for IPL and service manuals for both the 660 and 661. Just got a clone kit of the 660 that I want to tinker with. Then in the same week a locally owned 661 came up for sale, who could pass on that...

Any recommendations on OEM upgrades to the 660 without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ya cut the baffle out of the muffler and open up the holes in the muffler to around 80%-100% of the exhaust port on the cylinder side.

Free power gain, another free one is to remove the flywheel key and advance the flywheel a few degrees. You can file the key down or just turn the flywheel and bolt it down just harder to be accurate that way but completely doable.

Looking for IPL and service manuals for both the 660 and 661. Just got a clone kit of the 660 that I want to tinker with. Then in the same week a locally owned 661 came up for sale, who could pass on that...

Any recommendations on OEM upgrades to the 660 without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Check your inbox for the manuals.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ya cut the baffle out of the muffler and open up the holes in the muffler to around 80%-100% of the exhaust port on the cylinder side.
I'm assuming you mean to cut out the baffle and discard it and the holes you enlarge are the exhaust hole in the side of the muffler.
IMG_20230730_154029.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.

I'm assuming you mean to cut out the baffle and discard it and the holes you enlarge are the exhaust hole in the side of the muffler. View attachment 1101051
Yes sir, sorry if I over complicated it I just base my hole size on the exhaust port size.

But all you need to do is remove the baffle and throw it in the trash and then enlarge the holes in the muffler you have pictured.

Looking for IPL and service manuals for both the 660. Just bought a clone saw and want to be prepared to replace the parts that seem to cause the most swearing before I'm in the middle of cutting and the parts stores are closed.

Thanks for all the knowledge and opinions shared. Great reading when it came time to upgrade!

Looking for IPL and service manuals for both the 660. Just bought a clone saw and want to be prepared to replace the parts that seem to cause the most swearing before I'm in the middle of cutting and the parts stores are closed.

Thanks for all the knowledge and opinions shared. Great reading when it came time to upgrade!
Check your inbox for 660 , 661 info

I've been thinking about replacing the decompression valve and circle spring clips and needle bearing on the piston pin with OEM. If I eat enough Wheaties I might just plug the decompression port. If I do that though I might just end up replacing the starter handle and cord with OEM as well.🥴 I thought I remembered some saying that those circle clips were junk.

Am I going overboard with these "upgrades" or do these sound like a good use of OEM parts on a clone?

Back