Stihl MS 441 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took me a bit to figger out the silly throttle wire feed....doesn't lock iiin like anything I've ever done. The tank/handle removal is a beatch too. Carby box setup was strange at the time but now Mos of the 362/261s are similar to familiarity breeds contempt...always liked running mine. Never understood the hatred.

Took me a bit to figger out the silly throttle wire feed....doesn't lock iiin like anything I've ever done. The tank/handle removal is a beatch too. Carby box setup was strange at the time but now Mos of the 362/261s are similar to familiarity breeds contempt...always liked running mine. Never understood the hatred.
That throttle connection is a really poor design. There is nothing easy about restoring a Stihl 441cm. I think the idea was that Stihl wanted you to buy a new one if anything happened to the one that you owned. Dealer mechanics hate them also, but they are sworn to secrecy.

DDD908B1-1658-4DF8-A112-0C3B598324FE.jpeg

My favorite Stihl saw to run. Ever.

Scratch that: My favorite saw to run. Ever.

My least favorite saw to work on. Ever.

I love the way they run, with a super flat power band and the first iteration of M-Tronic finally figured itself out, or maybe I got used to it. They have a great air filter system & great balance with the length bars I run the most. I love the rear handle and trigger feel. Nice wide trigger with a short, albeit heavy pull. They’re the smoothest Stihl saw, or maybe the smoothest chainsaw for AV I’ve ever run. I even think it’s a nice looking saw compared to its replacement, though I know some have compared it to the antagonist in Alien. They don’t burn a lot of fuel for the work they do either.

The throttle linkage is completely asinine. The air box is confusing as hell and takes up way more space than it needs to, and working on an M-Tronic saw, is what it is. The little clips that hold the air filter cover on come off or break sometimes, and it’s a pain but I keep a few on hand.

But man when they run right (which is most of the time) they’re right up there with the 460 for power, burn a lot less fuel and are way easier on the end user.

I've heard a lot of negative about it. Mine has been good so far. I probably wouldn't have deliberately bought one bu this one was new in box and a pretty good deal from an individual. I run a 25" bar and it does pretty good. I probably barely have 100 tanks through it though so it's still pretty new.

After I restored mine, I doubt I have 30 tanks through it, but all have been exceptional performance. I have no complaints. What amazes me most is that the original owner ruined the top end, likely by straight gassing it. Once I rebuilt it, (not easy to do) this saw is a keeper and I enjoy using it.

Latest posts

Back