Stihl ms 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Yeah I had cut a whole tank with that chain on the 372. It is on its 3rd tank of mix right now. It isn't quite broke in yet. It only pulls 125 lbs of compression right now. The 660 is being a pain to tune without the plug trying to turn whitish. It seems to lose quite a few rpms to get the plug to be brown.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
Yeah I had cut a whole tank with that chain on the 372. It is on its 3rd tank of mix right now. It isn't quite broke in yet. It only pulls 125 lbs of compression right now. The 660 is being a pain to tune without the plug trying to turn whitish. It seems to lose quite a few rpms to get the plug to be brown.

That 660 sounded ok to me. Be wise, don't lean that big saw out, the mere second faster in cut isn't worth ruining it. The max rpm on that saw is 13,000
rpms. If its running 12,500 leave it alone. A saw that opens up under a load is all thats needed. It sure didn't sound like it was 4 stroking in the cut, it was running open. Turning up the rpms may increase your cut time alittle bit but the flip side is it may decrease the life of the saw.

Yes I thought that 372 seemed alittle dull there. They both run good, be happy...

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I am happy with them. The 660 seems to have a lot more power when the bar sizes go up. I cut a couple times with a 32 on it and a 28 on the xpw in a bigger piece and it seemed to be a lot bigger difference in cut time.

THALL10326

THALL10326

The Champ
I am happy with them. The 660 seems to have a lot more power when the bar sizes go up. I cut a couple times with a 32 on it and a 28 on the xpw in a bigger piece and it seemed to be a lot bigger difference in cut time.

True, those big saws like the 660's weren't made to be piddling in 18-20 inch wood. In fact in 20 inch wood or less your 372 with a good sharp chain may be faster than that 660. Sock a 3 foot bar on em and lay in nose buried it becomes and new ball game, the 660 will grunt and go, that 372 will scream and go oh schitttttttttt...LOL

fishercat

fishercat

Addicted to ArboristSite
i just picked one up today for $100.

not sure what i am gonna do with it.piston sticks.maybe i'll port a Bailey's BB kit and throw it on there.

fishercat

fishercat

Addicted to ArboristSite
no,not CL.

Nice score. U get it off CL. I never see good saws n CT. Just little ones.

a landscaper turned tree hack i know.he wanted 300 for it in the spring so i waited him out.he offered it to my buddy for 250 this morning but he isn't a 2 stroke mechanic.i called and told him for a Ben Frankiln i'll come get it today.the rest is history.

matt9923

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
a landscaper turned tree hack i know.he wanted 300 for it in the spring so i waited him out.he offered it to my buddy for 250 this morning but he isn't a 2 stroke mechanic.i called and told him for a Ben Frankiln i'll come get it today.the rest is history.

Nice. let me know if you find any more deal's like that. LOL

fishercat

fishercat

Addicted to ArboristSite
there are two problems..........

Ill take it off your hands and you can start saving for one.

it's worth a lot more running and i already tore it down this afternoon.i never sell a saw not running.well i did twice but i didn't want to mess with them.one was a Mall 2 man saw and the other was a Homelite 550.

matt9923

matt9923

Stihl bustin knuckles
it's worth a lot more running and i already tore it down this afternoon.i never sell a saw not running.well i did twice but i didn't want to mess with them.one was a Mall 2 man saw and the other was a Homelite 550.

I here you on that. I don't "need" another 660 but i wouldn't mind. LOL:hmm3grin2orange:

fishercat

fishercat

Addicted to ArboristSite
i would port it if it's a BB.

i wouldn't feel as bad if i messed up at $120.i still don't feel comfortable grinding on new OEM stuff.

Latest posts