Stihl USG question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob#4444

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For over 40 years now I have used an older Stihl hos chainsaw sharpener probably made in the late 1960s or early '70s in fact it's so old that it is the color red which is old. Anyway, this sharpener is very basic. It has no adjustments for the motor angle it is factory set, it does have the swivel chain Vise with degree markings like all sharpeners have. It works fine. I was thinking about buying a new USG sharpener and I understand that they have more adjustments, one for the motor angle, and also a B degree adjustment underneath the chain Vise, there is a degree marking that you can slide that Vise in and out for some reason. If all I'm using that to do is sharpen chainsaw chains, what is the purpose of that sliding part underneath the Vise which they denote as being letter B in the chart? Keeping in mind my sharpener that I have now has no sliding action at the bottom it is stationary. What actually happens when you slide the adjustable B scale in or out to do one side or the other on these USG sharpeners?

When it comes to chain saw sharpener motor head tilt degree angles, Is it true that there are degree number differences between Oregon and Stihl? Using an Oregon 410-120 as the machine doing the sharpening, is there a head tilt conversion chart for oregon to stihl? According to the Stihl usg chart, the "A" head tilt for most all stihl chains is 40° and I was told that if that same Stihl chain was sharpened on an Oregon sharpener, that the head tilt number should be set to either 50° or 60°. So, just wondering if there was a conversion chart, or what is the formula for the conversion.

Love the USG. Can see it back right on wall.

Use USG numbers.

Off top of my head I go. A 40, B 10 -+, C 30 -+. Thats was what I found best for my uses.

+ - is for the cutter sides doing. Want both on same slide and angle. Either + or - on both.

silveyx.jpg

When it comes to chain saw sharpener motor head tilt degree angles, Is it true that there are degree number differences between Oregon and Stihl? Using an Oregon 410-120 as the machine doing the sharpening, is there a head tilt conversion chart for oregon to stihl? According to the Stihl usg chart, the "A" head tilt for most all stihl chains is 40° and I was told that if that same Stihl chain was sharpened on an Oregon sharpener, that the head tilt number should be set to either 50° or 60°. So, just wondering if there was a conversion chart, or what is the formula for the conversion.

Stihl uses the complementary angle. So if the Oregon angle is 40 degrees the USG angle is 50 degrees. 40 + 50 = 90.

I put a new stihl chain in my Oregon grinder and had to set the head angle at 55 to match the factory grind

I lucked into a USG on Kijiji about 6 yrs ago
It was brand new,i think it may have come from an insurance claim as it had some smoke remnants on it.
It had been listed for a few months. Unfortunately the raker wheel got broke in shipping, which took a bit of the deal away

Put my USG together tonight and checked the angles and they are off by 6* degrees. Grinder mounted 100% level and checked 0* a it was off . Put my Klein angle tool on wheel and set 40* and took dremel and remarked true 40*. You would think for $700 german engineering would be better!

Put my USG together tonight and checked the angles and they are off by 6* degrees. Grinder mounted 100% level and checked 0* a it was off . Put my Klein angle tool on wheel and set 40* and took dremel and remarked true 40*. You would think for $700 german engineering would be better!
I would exchange it, that would be frustrating every day

Does it have where it was made at on it anywhere? Wonder if changed location over the older units like everything else now.

Does it have where it was made at on it anywhere? Wonder if changed location over the older units like everything else now.
I will look. I did talk to a Stihl tech located in Malvern,Arkansas and he seemed shocked that anyone would even go to the "extreme" of checking it ! He said," Most usg's go to dealers because they are so expensive and the dealer techs just go by the scale and can live with the small tolerances"

Good thing you verified. Otherwise, it may have shown up in non-symmetrical chains, as well as different angles.

I have not used a USG. On my first Oregon grinder I found the scales off by a few degrees. I removed the scale plates, enlarged the mounting holes, and re-installed them in the correct position (double-stick tape behind to discourage any movement).

Frustrating on a ‘precision’ tool. Not sure if you can do the same thing on a USG.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back