Sycamore tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keiran91

Reaction score
IMG_0808.jpeg
Hi all,

Have a sycamore tree at the bottom of my little garden in newly purchased flat in London.

Its roots have lifted/damaged the brick floor surrounding it, and the brick bed in which it’s located.

We’d like to keep the tree - but want to remove the brick flooring, and fix the bedding.

Any thoughts/reccs on how to approach ?

Pics for ref

Thanks,
Keiran
IMG_0808.jpegIMG_0807.jpegIMG_0806.jpegIMG_0805.jpegIMG_0804.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpeg
    IMG_0803.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 1128027
Hi all,

Have a sycamore tree at the bottom of my little garden in newly purchased flat in London.

Its roots have lifted/damaged the brick floor surrounding it, and the brick bed in which it’s located.

We’d like to keep the tree - but want to remove the brick flooring, and fix the bedding.

Any thoughts/reccs on how to approach ?

Pics for ref

Thanks,
Keiran
View attachment 1128027View attachment 1128028View attachment 1128029View attachment 1128030View attachment 1128031
All that Ivy will eventually kill the tree.
cutting back some roots won’t kill the tree.

As singingqwoodwach says:
All that Ivy will eventually kill the tree.

I tell people quite often and it usually falls on deaf ears so I only say it once.
I do not say I told you so when they call me to take out their dead tree, I just collect my pay and move on.

I've seen it eventually kill very large trees. (like a slow cancer)
Usually happens so slow that people do not even notice until it's too late.

Usually if a tree still looks healthy you can cut the vine's stalks/runners at the bottom of the tree. Sometimes you may have to do this yearly until you get all killed out. Best to not use a herbicide on the vines roots or it can harm the tree.Most generally if the tree is sick and already dying it's a goner. Take out about 4 inches of the vine's stalk and the uppers of the vines will die and the tree will start smiling again. If it's poison Oak or Ivy do not hug the tree for awhile Most generally can use limb lobbers on the vines stalks and not have to even touch the stalks runners.

Back