Taking down a standing dead Red Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut mostly standing dead Red Oak, but most of it is in the woods, and I have plenty of options for felling direction.
But, I've got this one just along side a long unused swing/climbing/elevated play house set my 20-something kids don't use any more. Unfortunately, this baby is carrying a very heavy limb on the play house side, which is within reach of the deck, and at least the corner of the house.

P1060629.JPG

I don't climb anymore, so I threw a line up through that first crotch up there. Hit it on the 6th or 7th try (ok, probably was the 9th or 10th). Pulled a 5/8" braided climbing rope up there, then hooked a serious come-along on a tree about 120' in the direction I preferred it to fall, more or less directly away from the camera angle, and avoiding houses, decks, and any of the major big trees in the woods.

The+Saw.JPG

Cut an extra deep hinge, then put some tension on the tree with the come-along. Tree is about 30" across the base at cut height. I had to cut from each side with my Dolmar 510 18" bar (which with the dogs on really only gives about 17½" of cut).

With my line man safely beyond the reach, my pup in safety zone lock-up, and my own escape route identified, I started the back cut. Cut from one side, applied felling wedges, and cleanly cut from the other side till the big Oak started a slow motion tilt. Backed out and let tree and physics take over.

The+log.JPG

Perfect landing! You can see the serious dog leg down the log there. That was the weight shift I was concerned about. As it was, that dogleg caused the base to hop about 12' from the stump when it hit the ground and twisted.

If you look closely, you can see my best knot and line man down there waiting for the ground to stop shaking before he comes out from behind his shield tree.

Lineman.JPG

And, that's me, retrieving some of our steering ropes.

Timberman.JPG

And, now the hard work, bucking and hauling and splitting and stacking. I do almost all my cutting alone, so this will take me a couple days to clean up. Especially if it gets too warm again.

P1060665.JPG

Some of you are probably following another thread on how dry standing dead Red Oak might be. I stuck my Moisture Meter into the exposed grain of the hinge about at my cut height. It reads 38%. This tree has been dead for a couple years, is losing its bark (though there was still a complete ring of bark at cut height.

P1060656.JPG

Oh, yea, somewhere between setting the ropes and actually making the cut, I had my first cord of wood for this year picked up. Amazing what 46° mornings do for firewood marketing.

I know some of you follow MTF threads too, and this is mostly a duplicate of my post in the Chainsaw section there, so sorry if you already read this.

I have to ask. It looks like your back cut is below your face cut and hinge. Is there a reason for doing it this way as I was taught to cut 1-2" above the face cut?

I have to ask. It looks like your back cut is below your face cut and hinge. Is there a reason for doing it this way as I was taught to cut 1-2" above the face cut?

I was taught to do that too, but I wanted to ensure a very slow tip-over in case we needed to apply more come-along steerage. I was able to gauge the fall early based on the gap of my back cut and the way my wedges went in. It was more a theory than a practiced or proven plan. In any event, the cut worked, did not need to crank the come-along again after starting the back cut.

I do not pretend to recommend to anyone else, just showing what I did.

This type of cut is normal practice for leaners that you are pulling over against the lean with equipment (such as a truck, tractor, dozer, winch, etc.). It prevents you from pulling the tree off the stump created by the tremendous amount of pulling force (of truck, tractor, dozer, winch, etc.). I read about this technique in a thread on AS. I have not used this technique but keep it in the back of my mind in case the situation ever arises. However, if the situation does arise I am probably calling a professional.

If any professional reads this and I am wrong, please correct me.

good looking job! well done with the pic's and written narration of your take down! slow an steady is the key to finishing your wood exercise when its hot an humid!! your a true woodsman with a fall that went well! :clap:

Latest posts

Back