Tanaka 5501 Info.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caledonian

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought this saw. Plate, says it is made by Tanaka Kogyo Co. Ltd. gives a serial #, model 5501, and at the bottom - Husqvarna AB Sweden.

The book shows Engine - 53.2cc, Ignition - Electrolux, Carb - Walbro, Chain+bar - Oregon.

Took the covers off, they all have 'Husqvarna AB Sweden' molded into them. It looks identical to a Husky 55/350 cross.

Any info please?

Tanaka isn't very well served where I live, except for trimmers and a few top-handle saws. Looking on the WWW, it doesn't even look like Tanaka sells this model in N. America, or any other chain saws abouve 40cc. I'm guessing that the European distribution has decided to pursue the market for this size units, but couldn't contract with Tanaka for enough units to make it profitable. This is probably the new 353 Husky... CC count is right on. That is a quality saw. I think the 55 is on its way to retirement.

I'm not sure what it says about Electrolux, if they continue a-whoring after the rebadge trade. (cheap Poulan's don't count...) Nothing new, though...McCulloch, Solo and Emak have done plenty of it...

Caledonian said:
I have recently bought this saw. Plate, says it is made by Tanaka Kogyo Co. Ltd. gives a serial #, model 5501, and at the bottom - Husqvarna AB Sweden.

The book shows Engine - 53.2cc, Ignition - Electrolux, Carb - Walbro, Chain+bar - Oregon.

Took the covers off, they all have 'Husqvarna AB Sweden' molded into them. It looks identical to a Husky 55/350 cross.

Any info please?
If it is possible I would like a few pic's, so I can investigate a bit, this was interesting!

Pictures

Mange

Here is some pictures, I hope!!!

Really pleased with this saw, spent about 6 hours yesterday cutting firewood.
Hard and soft woods cut, sharpened saw-chain towards end of the day.

I can tell you, for sure its not a current model husky, that I know of. certainly not a 55, or 353.

It has the E-lux look that is for sure, and I have no doubt it is build by HVA/Elux.
I will poke around a bit and see what I can find out.

Mange.

It could be, it has that case design, but so did other Jonny's and Partners.
Partner 500,5000 and 5500 I have here. All same or very simular case.
I have Jonny 490, 590 and newer with same case design.

Thank You.

I would like to say, Thank You to everyone who has posted in response to my request for info. about this saw. :)

'Under The Covers'

Took of the covers, do these pictures help?

On the inside of the plastic covers, the following is molded :

E M Origional
Made In Sweden.

What is that extra piece of plastic in front of the flywheel for? it looks like something but I dont know what.

Oldsaw-addict

The plastic around the flywheel - Suggest it improves the movement of air drawn through the case, for cooling, by the flywheel fins.

No, the piece that mounts to the handlebar, and the rear handle, I knew about the other piece already.

Support

That end of the handle-bar locates to the body via the anti-vibe mount, the plastic piece provides additional longitudinal support.

Latest posts

Back