Tapping Carb Threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received an adjustable carb for the ms 180 and noticed when taking it apart for cleaning before instillation one of bolt holes going into the in the carb metering diaphragm side had stripped threads. (They are m3 x 0.5 if anyone is interested)

It still held vacuum and pressure but it bothered me so I tapped the threads. Really I need to move up to m3.5 to get good traction, but it’s fine for now :)

Has anyone done any tapping work on their saws? I find it annoying that Stihl use those threaded screws all over the saw and not bolts. Going to tap the plastic housing in another location where the previous owner stripped the threads out too!

43BA219A-20AB-439B-89F8-7C30EAA03AD8.jpeg

I received an adjustable carb for the ms 180 and noticed when taking it apart for cleaning before instillation one of bolt holes going into the in the carb metering diaphragm side had stripped threads. (They are m3 x 0.5 if anyone is interested)

It still held vacuum and pressure but it bothered me so I tapped the threads. Really I need to move up to m3.5 to get good traction, but it’s fine for now :)

Has anyone done any tapping work on their saws? I find it annoying that Stihl use those threaded screws all over the saw and not bolts. Going to tap the plastic housing in another location where the previous owner stripped the threads out too!

View attachment 763546
Just had to use your new impact driver on a carb, didn’t you! :laugh:

Just kidding.

Nice work Tom, but next time you start cutting threads in ope carbs, use some masking tape to close off the metering area, stops any stray swarf ending up in unwanted places.
The screws are fine, as long as they are not dissimilar metal corroded in and you don't have a ham fisted previous owner playing with them to bugger up the heads or cross the threads.........

Nice work Tom, but next time you start cutting threads in *** carbs, use some masking tape to close off the metering area, stops any stray swarf ending up in unwanted places.
The screws are fine, as long as they are not dissimilar metal corroded in and you don't have a ham fisted previous owner playing with them to bugger up the heads or cross the threads.........
You’re absolutely right mate. Honestly I’m not sure why I didn’t, I figured it would have a good clean, but meh, still great advice!

Back