termites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avoid moisture accumulation near the tree. Divert water away as much as possible. Ground near the base needs to be sloped or graded in order for surface water to drain away from the building. Termites and ants are attracted to moisture.

In nationwide field tests, the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Gulfport, Mississippi evaluates termiticide soil treatments. In general, termiticides tested under concrete slabs were 100 percent effective for five or more years when applied at the highest rate, but often were less effective when applied at lower rates (Source: Pest Management Magazine, pages 14, 15 & 16 - Feb. 1994, Vol. 13, No. 2). Termiticides tested included bifenthrin (Biflex), cypermethrin (Demon TC), permethrin (Dragnet FT), chlorpyrifos (Dursban TC), chlorpyrifos (Equity), cypermethrin (Prevail), chlorpyrifos (Tenure), permethrin (Prelude) and fenvalerate (Tribute).

I would also bait them out termiticide termite bait and keep the area dry. See if any pesticide companys have any ideas. Malithion might work. Pest company could kill your tree
Darin

While collecting firewood for splitting and the subsequent stockpiling of the split firewood on my property, how do any of you that split wood defend against termites? I was wondering this just the other day. Do they invade firewood considering it's dead and dry or not? And if so, what remedies are there to protect?

I'm not familiar with the product but would you apply it to the ground only or right to the wood? If it's on the wood, I would think that thats a hazard for those that would be burning the wood.

(too many wood/woulds in the post)

looked it up. Underground system. Anything in granule form or spray for the ground around and under the wood?

BTW, don't have termites but don't want them either.

There are probably a few products for surface application that will give short-term protection against termites. For a home or building Termidore is the only thing that comes close to replacing the famous Chlordane (spelling?) which was outlawed something like 30 years ago in the USA. Trenching in Termidore is work. It can be sprayed on exterior surfaces that are not exposed to washing of rain or water or liquids of any kind. Above all, apply chemicals according to the manufacturers directions.

Latest posts

Back