thanks for all the info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexrckid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
had a prob with my stihl 024av. wouldnt start. took it to my local guy....said that my saw had low compression(85lb) this is a saw that has not seen much use and is taken very good care of). so, he suggested junking it(which he would do for me) and buying one of his new husky's. so, rather than that, took it home. checked the compression myself....got 120lbs(marginal). pulled the thing apart(never did such a thing). anyway, only thing that i found was that a SMALL SCREEN IN THE CARB WAS CLOGGED. dont really know what that screen is responsible for. put it all back together, baselined the hi/lo carb settings. NOW, STARTS FINE AND RUNS GREAT.....so, thanks for the help that this forum gave me.....

Glad you checked into it yourself. It would have been a shame to give it up and then go back to the dealer a week later to get some bar oil and see your former trusty steed sitting there with no doubt a higher price than what you were given as a trade. :buttkick:

foe sure.....would not have been a good thing.......does anyone feel that if the small screen(that seems to be pressed into the carb body at the bottom of the needle reservoir) was clugged, that it would have caused a no start condition..????....

alexrckid said:
foe sure.....would not have been a good thing.......does anyone feel that if the small screen(that seems to be pressed into the carb body at the bottom of the needle reservoir) was clugged, that it would have caused a no start condition..????....
thats a yes

Just a tip.....don't ever be tempted to take it out and run the saw in a pinch unless you are prepared to replace the carb with another. Once stuff gets past that screen and plugs up the small passages there is some chance of cleaning it out but it gets too expensive to work on it too long had a few of those customers

alexrckid said:
had a prob with my stihl 024av. wouldnt start. took it to my local guy....said that my saw had low compression(85lb) this is a saw that has not seen much use and is taken very good care of).

I think if I could find ANOTHER GUY I would.

Ditto on finding,,,,, "Another Guy"

I think I would either completely find another shop or turn it around and take it back up there and show him what ya done:jawdrop: , then still find another guy:LOL,clap: Good for you to check yourself,,, now you are the guy!!!!!!! it is a shame but,There are some shops out there trying to make a buck by taking advantage of honest folk. Maybe he won't look @ you like his truck note this month anymore!!!!:cheers:

By all means find a "new guy" for feces in the fan situations, but this only points out how it's a good thing to be able to do some of your own scwrench turning. If nothing else to be able to diagnose the problems you can handle from the ones you can't so you can drop back and punt if needed. By doing a little homework, getting your hands dirty you turned a "junker" into a serviceable unit. Good work.:rock:

Back