The Dan rates the Cougar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need a nice tight saddle. i got a 36in waist but still went with the smaller size. fits perfect.

martyb. thats why the bosun seat is superior to leg straps. you adjust the seat to find the sweet spot so that when you sit back there it is but the key, the very key to comfort, is having the leg straps as loose as possible. that way you have total leg freedom of movement and you can make any dynamic leg move you need to make to get around in the tree.

think throwing you leg up over a branch. tight leg straps and you cant really lift your leg all that high. loose leg strap allows better movement.

absolutely no thank you to the leg strap attacking your ball bag and i guarantee it will happen along with that bruising and chaffing with leg strap saddles.

I feel the exact opposite about catching the twins in a leg strap. I have over 100 jumps and one of the first things they teach you is tighten them puppies up or your gonna catch one on opening. And when your talking about parachutes catching that sucker on opening is going to do severe damage. I know you have thousands of hours more in a climbing saddle so you may be right but with that strap loose it just seems if you move wrong and sit in you could catch yourself the wrong way and OUCH. But I do agree on the flexibility issue

i hear you som. but if you falling with that kinda force into your saddle then you doing it wrong! lol

think about it though. its constricting. tighten them straps up tight and then try to raise you knee as high as you can. your cant go that high and then because of tightness the saddle moves your whole body.

loose straps and you can move your knee much higher and not get torqued (for lack of a better word) around by the saddle.

and the emphasis should be that you need to adjust the seat so that it hangs right under you butt. so that when you do sit/lean back its already in the perfect position.

freedom man. if you can move fluidly in the tree you can get yourself into better places to work from.

I feel the exact opposite about catching the twins in a leg strap. I have over 100 jumps and one of the first things they teach you is tighten them puppies up or your gonna catch one on opening. And when your talking about parachutes catching that sucker on opening is going to do severe damage. I know you have thousands of hours more in a climbing saddle so you may be right but with that strap loose it just seems if you move wrong and sit in you could catch yourself the wrong way and OUCH. But I do agree on the flexibility issue

Military jumps are all fun and games until you see your buddy get hit with a little 'ol 40mm anti-aircraft round and turn into the proverbial pink mist (which you then fly through and inhale) before your eyes. Ah yea...I remember the war tales of many an old man very well.

i hear you som. but if you falling with that kinda force into your saddle then you doing it wrong! lol

think about it though. its constricting. tighten them straps up tight and then try to raise you knee as high as you can. your cant go that high and then because of tightness the saddle moves your whole body.

loose straps and you can move your knee much higher and not get torqued (for lack of a better word) around by the saddle.

and the emphasis should be that you need to adjust the seat so that it hangs right under you butt. so that when you do sit/lean back its already in the perfect position.

freedom man. if you can move fluidly in the tree you can get yourself into better places to work from.

Nah OD I agree 100% with you on the flexibility thing, just not sure on the crushing the stones issue, I think its more dangerous with them loose

Last edited:
i wont lie. i have sat on my balls. just havent squeezed with a strap since i went loose fit.

but i guess you do like to accentuate the ballyard with a tight fit judging by the pic in your sig line. lol.

and i am referring to the stiff seat not the little butt strap you get with them cheap saddles.

the seats that are like sitting on a 2x4 are the saddles i am talking about.

i wont lie. i have sat on my balls. just havent squeezed with a strap since i went loose fit.

but i guess you do like to accentuate the ballyard with a tight fit judging by the pic in your sig line. lol.

LOL nah man I tried to go loose but after having it drilled into your head so much its hard to change.

Please don't talk about "the package" or you will receive special S&M attention and then you will need one of these.

attachment.php

I have used both types of saddles for rope work and find the leg straps to be superior when you need to move around constantly. The bosun seat is nice when you have to sit for any period of time.

I've only use leg straps. Are these seats in the way limb walking or working a spar? I'm considering giving one a try mostly based on your positive comments.

Thanks.

like anything new it takes a moment of adjustment but i dont even notice it. mind you ive only climbed in these types of saddles.

take the petzl sequoia for instance. great saddle to run around in the tree but sit in on the rope and you will soon get a squeezing sensation.in the hips and thigh area.

but with that seat everything is forced off your hips cause of the seat so no pinch. just lean back and enjoy your moment of rest.

i wouldnt try to sell you on a bunk idea, treeco. i know you not a pup anymore so you are not exactly going balls out in the all day any more. make the most of those little breaks and sit comfortably.

stay safe.

you like the butterfly then get the dragonfly! or just order up the seat. i think you can add the seat to the butterfly no problems.

Thanks for the info Oldirty. I'm climbing in a Butterfly I saddle, looking at options and thinking about getting a new saddle. The Butterfly has been a great saddle and is on it's forth replacement bridge.

Get one of those Treemagineers everything-but-the-kitchen-sink saddles.

Latest posts

Back