The drying process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked moisture content on various lots of wood from this year's pile. I resplit the pieces and measured the very middle of the fresh splits.

Blowdown red oak (time of blowdown unknown, probably 18-24 months). Cut and split June 27. 35%

Red maple cut green and immediately split/stacked June 27. 38-50% across a couple of splits.

Red maple cut green and split/stacked late April. 28%

Aspen cut green and stacked/split Memorial Day. 32%

Black Ash cut green and split/stacked late April. 21%

Aspen cut and split/stacked in small splits July 5. 42%

All of these splits were significantly faded and checked on the ends yet still held a lot of moisture at the very center. As you got closer to the ends, MC was in the teens for all samples.

I'll say that these numbers were quite a bit higher than I expected.

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
Excellent demonstration of a couple of points. Smaller, shorter splits air-dry faster than larger. Some species stay wetter longer than others, but I'm surprised at some of the relative MCs. May be differences in stacking and/or wind & sun exposure?

I'm very fortunate to have some stacks sitting in the south-westerlies for years, so the MCs are down around 10%. Still, once burning season starts around here around Oct. 1, I'll be bringing splits in and stacking them alongside the stove for their final drying. The difference from that is very noticeable. Couple or three weeks of that and the MM acts like it's broken. No such thing as "wood too dry".

Come mid-winter, the moisture driven from the wood indoors helps preserve nasal passages and sinuses, long as your house isn't extremely tightly sealed.

Larger Morso stove going in soon. More efficient yet, and larger firebox. I'm getting lazy, but it'll be fun to see how it works out. Once I make some repairs to a Morso "squirrel", anybody want one cheap? Maybe $500 like new but half price.

I hope this isn't your this winter's wood...
The ash is. But with another 6 weeks of good drying and then 2 more months of cool weather, the MC will be in the teens which is good enough for me. And it all gets a week drying in the furnace room where the temp is a steady 110 degrees.

The aspen I cut last year is buried until I burn the ash and that will get me through this season.

@CTYank The stacks get direct morning through mid afternoon sun. Wind is fairly low except for the spot where the small aspen is stacked. And our summers are mild even compared to what you have out east. Not the best spot for quick seasoning but usually I've got a couple years in storage. After next year I'll have several years in storage.

I will repeat that I was surprised how slow this has been going. But you learn something every day.

steved

steved

ArboristSite Guru
Keep in mind, this year has been cooler and not ideal for drying firewood. My parents haven't had more than a day a week of dry weather it seems.

I'm glad I had some stored from last year.