The Right Tree for the Job???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyr_99

Reaction score
I have a question....

I live in southeastern wisconsin, and this past fall the city was kind enough to cut down a large ash tree in my front yard (please note sarcasm) for what reason I do not know, yet. I would like to replace it with something but I am not sure what. The tree would be going in the three foot wide section between the sidewalk and street curb. I would like something that is somewhat of a fast grower, but I want to avoid any future sidewalk damage. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or even somehwere I could look to find the info I need? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Check with your local jurisdiction. Some cities consider, by statute, the trees between the sidewalk and the curb to be theirs. They maintain or remove them at their discretion, usually as they become a hazard. They also can replant when trees have been removed. Your city may have a variety of trees available for replanting that may be close to what you want.

For pictures and descriptions try this site
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/

I would avoid fast growing for all of the reasons covered in past posts on this site.

Be careful in your selection. Check for overhead wires, how much rooting space is available and light levels. There are a lot of possible street trees so have fun looking them over before you buy one.

Dont plant anything there, that is city property, yours ends at the sidewalk, you are just responsible for th maintinance of the turf and snow remaoval of the walk.

The city will be planting a new tree there in the future. You may be able to contact the City Forestry Department and request to have a specific species installed, but it does not alway work that way.

I have no front sidewalk but the first 2 yards or so are city too.

Just wait till WEPCO comes in and trims the tree in your back yard. They have the easement to do it. Either an orange or yellow truck will show up and they will clear all branches conflicting with the power distribution.

Latest posts

Back