Thoughts on Bobcat 5600 for tree service

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Banned
Reaction score
This machine has caught my intrest, it combines a tool carrier, skid steer, pick up truck, and a golf cart.

http://www.bobcat.com/products/twm/index.html

Its 5' wide, weighs 4700 pounds and has all wheel steering. It has a loader on the front that will lift 1500 pounds 7', tow 4000 pounds, and has a payload cap. of 2000 pounds. Its top speed of 18mph combined with its aux hydraulics that put out 18gpm (at 3000psi). There is also a turbo version which has a few more hp, I am not sure of the differnces between the 5600 and the 5600 Turbo.

I think with a grapple bucket on the front to handle logs combined with a chipper like this mounted in the bed, pulling a trailer to chip into would make a very versital and efficient tool. Then add a spliter for firewood, and any other skid steer attachment.

I havent talked to the dealer yet to check on a price yet, hopefully tomorrow.

What do yall think? What would be the advantages and disadvantages?

02.jpg

04.jpg

The chipper would do what i needed. Watch some of the vids, it does pretty well. I dont need to chip everything, i can burn the logs (over 6") and or use them for firewood.

That small size might work out for you, then. I would opt for something a tad more powerful so the machine wouldn't slave so much.

I demo'd one a couple of weeks ago I wasnt very impressed. Ended up buying another skidsteer. There lifting capacity wasnt impressive and they didnt manuever as well as i had hoped. the one i looked at was right at 35K.

I have thought about that too. The bobcat has about the same power as our RG50.

It impressed me on this vid. Dunno what that skid steers aux hydraulics are rated.
http://www.valby.us/CH140HM-HDvid2-1.wmv

Most hard wood over 3-4" will be used for firewood. I am getting in to selling firewood this comming up winter. That would limit its strain there, but that leaves pine and other soft woods. Dont forget that I am burning everything now, so this would save alot of time at the jobsite and back home.

Also think about being able to chip in the back yard right at the LZ, this whole setup would be a hair over 5' wide, which around here will get you too most trees.

I cant afford to tie very much money into just a chipper. With this setup I could

DDM said:
I demo'd one a couple of weeks ago I wasnt very impressed. Ended up buying another skidsteer. There lifting capacity wasnt impressive and they didnt manuever as well as i had hoped. the one i looked at was right at 35K.

What all options could you get with the 35k price tag?

Unimog, besides being scarce around here (I have never seen one in person anywhere I have traveled in this country) would be wider than this setup. They would be a good setup though.

I demo'd There Chipper as well I wasnt very impressed with it. A bobcat S-175 is the same width with more lifting capacity and costs about 13-14K Less Plus you could make yourself up a hitch for the bobcat like i did and pull/Push a regular chipper or Stump grinder around with it.....http://arborist.************/attachment_20422.php
:blob2:

Lumberjack said:
What all options could you get with the 35k price tag?

Unimog, besides being scarce around here (I have never seen one in person anywhere I have traveled in this country) would be wider than this setup. They would be a good setup though.

Not any options Just a Grapple rake. Not even a enclosed cab. The S250 I bought with the Power Bobtach was 26K and Believe me This Machine has some serious Lifting capacity for its size.

S250 is a good choice for moving trees. I have had one but upgraded to an s300. Save your money, though. No noticeable difference in the two!

I have been looking at selling one of my Bobcat's and going the toolcat route. I looked at the 56turbo with 26gpm@3050psi model. That is equivalent to the 773G or the S185's though the s185 has about 400lbs greater lift capacity. The toolcat, though, should be a lot lighter on the turf and with all wheel steer, a lot cleaner too.

If you are going to handle big limbs, though, don't go with a Bobcat chipper. It is only about 6" continuous duty though it is an excellent idea for tight spaces and small limbs and I am more than happy with all of my other bobcat attachments though I admit I don't and haven't used a bobcat chipper.

I don't think you will have enough hydraulic flow for that chipper if you look at Valby's specs lower down the page. 7 feet isn't very high for lift and 1500 pounds isn't that much either. Seems like a tool trying to do too many things for a hefty price tag, and not doing any of them all that efficiently.

Just my opinion, sorry to sh!t in your oatmeal. :D

26gpm@3050psi model

Rule of thumb in hydraulics: 1 Hp = 1 Gal/minute @1500 psi.

Chipper should theoretically run like a 52.86 Hp chipper. Seems a touch small I think.

Looks liek a neat machine but a regular old skidsteer probably be more useful and hold better resale value. I can't imagine demand being too high for resale though I may be mistaken. Best of luck.

I called the dealer and got a price.

To walk out the door the price would be 41k dollars.
That includes: Base 5600 Turbo machine with high flow hydraulics (the 26gpm at 3k psi)
Standard bucket
Grapple Bucket
Their 5" contiunous (9" opening) Chipper, dunno the vid on it didnt seem nearly as good as the one above
Enclosed cab with A/C (very nice!) and heat

I dont think i like their chipper compared to the one listed above. I need to find a price on that one.

I can demo one whenever, maybe this weekend, have a big removal that it would really help with.

A skid steer would be nice and cheaper, but the damage to the yard that it would cause is unacceptable, and I really doubt that I could afford the big all wheel steer skid steer (A300).

One thing I thought of yesterday is a compact 4wd drive tractor. Its base price should be half of the 5600 turbo, it should weigh the same, maybe less, and can lift more.

I am looking at New Holland. I will check on a price later today.

5600 bobcat a real work horse!

i suggest that you demo one they are the best thing to have around very easy on the yard and with 4 wheel steer you can really move it around and not tear up a yard to bad. alot of landscape people have bought them along with colleges.there is going to be a smaller version of the 5600 coming out real soon in case that interests any of you.this is a really good web page from bobcat :rolleyes: .http://www.bobcat.com/worksaver/05bc/index.html

We have one of these Tool Cats at work. Picked it up last year. Its nice for running around the plant and doing small tasks... ie carring my but with garbage from point a to b. Now some of the down sides.. The machine has been in twice for repairs, under powered, The 4 wheel steering needs realinment about ever 10-15 hrs. The motor parts can be a pain to service., The floor on the drivers side rotted out in 6 months.
But its the best 40K snow blower I've ever driven in 10 below weather. And get the small bucket, because you can still over load the machine with that.

And if you do get it.... I know a few tricks you can do to drive your co-workers nuts..... I found them out because the Super Operator who knows it all really didn't.

One last benny, They are nice to train newbies on.... Because you can sit next to them and smile and not get run over...

Latest posts

Back