Thoughts on Certification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelorus

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit
Reaction score
I accidently came across an interesting outfit last evening called On Rope 1, based out of Tennessee. Some of you are likely familiar with it.
(have also sent them an email suggeting they check out AS re. becoming a possible sponsor)

Anyway, under their FAQ - Tech Tips, there is posted this interesting commentary on the whole subject of "certification" - what does being "certified" mean? I think what is discussed is applicable to the tree care industry, even though it was written for rope technicians.

“Are You Really Certified”?

Many folks toss the word “Certified” around like they truly understand it. Many folks ask to be “Certified” performers –doing things like attempting to be a “Certified Rappeller”, or a “Certified Rope Technician” or a “Certified Rescuer.”

Webster states it pretty clearly:
1. To attest as certain. give reliable information of; confirm.
2. To assure or inform with certainty.
3. To guarantee; endorse reliably.
4. To guarantee in writing.
5. To give assurance.

This clearly states that if someone is certified, someone guarantees that you will ALWAYS make the right decisions and do the right thing. Who will guarantee that you will always do the right thing? Answer: as I see it, No one with any sense! Being certified is a topic that needs addressing almost daily in our business. Someone wants someone else to guarantee they have good judgment.

Case in point: I got involved with a $13.5 million wrongful death lawsuit a few years ago. The “Certified Rope Technician” on the scene, with over 1000 hours of training, watched a worker fall to his death after attempting to help that worker who had fallen and was hanging by his dorsal attachment in his full body harness. The video of the scene showed that the rescuer never attempted any orthodox rescue technique taught, published or otherwise, that anyone would consider viable, during the 45 minutes he attempted to pull the man to safety.

So Who Can “Certify”?
The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) says the only person who can give someone these credentials (in our world) is the person representing the Agency Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)--Typically your boss! This also means that if you move you may have to recertify all over again with a new boss. NFPA and other professional groups are very clear that your instructor cannot certify you. It must be a separate evaluating person or panel that determines someone’s skills.

This process needs to be repeated and verified at regular intervals to insure that someone’s skills are current. There are procedures like medical techniques or levels of medical proficiency, like CPR, that are certified, but even these need to be re-examined and re-certified annually.

Certification is not something that is available on any street corner. Actual Certification is really expensive. Ask companies who are ISO 9001 Certified or ask someone how much they pay for product liability insurance. The best that most people can do is receive a certificate (like a diploma) that states that at this moment in time you knew enough and demonstrated enough skill to receive this piece of paper that says you may have done it right “once”. In the end, I typically distrust people who routinely brag about their certifications or diplomas in their “Achievement File”. Actions, and the demonstration of competent skills, are more telling of someone’s ability than any piece of paper.

5. To give assurance.

This clearly states that if someone is certified, someone guarantees that you will ALWAYS make the right decisions and do the right thing. ...

states clearly, clearly states...what? That's one way to read it but maybe not the most accurate.

Couldn't agree more with what you put together here.

However, looking at someone's paper alone is still a good starting point in evaluating competency in a particular area. It may be all you have available.

The next steps would include: weighing/analyzing the kinds of work performed, actual accomplishments and references. Asking questions regarding these with an open mind will fill in some context and provide a basis for these claims passing the smell test or not.

The final step would be seeing the skills demonstrated in flesh and blood, because the above can be faked or used to cover up for a whole range of negatives (arrest records, firings, bad reviews, etc.). That's why employers offering jobs with specialized skills may have a probationary period at modest pay, or offering work more or less as an apprentice.

It's also true that someone with no certifications, few prior accomplishments and modest demonstrated skills might be hired and retained because they show potential and make rapid progress. Hiring a groundie that seems promising would be an example, but if you really need a decent climber it would be really unlikely that no one heard about him or paid him before.

I first came across the actual book: "On Rope" by Padgett and Smith, back sometime in the'early 90s. It pointed me in the right direction, cause up untill then I really didn't have a clue, and was climbing by the seat of my pants.
It is very well written and "readable".

....Many folks toss the word “Certified” around like they truly understand it. Many folks ask to be “Certified” performers –doing things like attempting to be a “Certified Rappeller”, or a “Certified Rope Technician” or a “Certified Rescuer.”

5. To give assurance.

Not to be rude, but let's confirm that everybody knows how to use a dictionary. There are several definitions for one word. If your use of that word meets one of those definitions, you have used the word appropriately, regardless of applicability to the other meanings.

In the case of Certified Arborists (which I assume is what this is all about), the ISA "certifies" or "gives assurance" that an individual has met a set of minimal standards (experience, passing a test, continuing education, signs the Code of Ethics). Nothing more.

I see nothing in that definition that implies a guarantee of actions on the ground. In fact, neither does the ISA. Straight from the ISA website: Certification is not a measure of standards of practice. Certification can attest to the tree knowledge of an individual but cannot guarantee or ensure quality performance.

I don't know about the rope stuff, and what they claim to certify, so I'll leave that argument to somebody else (but, without looking I have a sneaking suspicion that they also "give assurance" that training standards have been met.)

The lawsuit referenced is likely questioning whether the individual acted according to his training. If not, he should be liable. If he did what he was trained to do and it is determined that those actions caused the loss, the training organization might be considered for liability.

In CT I would say state certification is worth something. I just took the written part of the exam last week. The arborist certification consists of a written exam, then a tree id and oral exam at a later date. At least 20 people took the exam and when I turned mine in there were only 2 left in the seats. Out of 20, I was the only only one that passed. I think certification is only as good as how rigorous testing is. That being said, certification never makes a good arborist. That takes years of experience.

First I would like to says congrats to all those who have put in the time, studying and hard work to become certified. I also agree with Jed and some others this certificate does not make someone an arborists. I've known plenty of people that have been certified that I would not let near my trees, shrubs or equipment. They did it so to charge the clientele more and for a title. I started working in trees in 1981 and loved it. I worked for bigger companies and then had my own business for many years. I gave up the business due to my wife ending up in the hospital for 3 months dying ( she did manage to come out and doing well ). Up til that point we had over 500 clientele strong, we did the grounds of a University, had the street trees in one town, did the property of a publisher for Better Homes and Garden, also the estate of a famous figure in history among many good people. Not bad for a small business of my wife doing the books and I did the selling, all the climbing and all the repairs to the equipment. I do not have a certification in trees, but I can climb with the best of them in pruning any tree and taking down any tree. I'm 56 now and still have never had any property damage ( can't say the same for body damage ). It's great to have that piece of document but I think the love and respect and the effort in doing the best for the trees and shrubs out weighs someone going for a title. Don't get me wrong I've worked for hard to know the different tpyes of trees and shrubs and the different techniques. But I love what I do.

Not to be rude, but let's confirm that everybody knows how to use a dictionary...

Not to be rude either, but your confirmation is contingent on blindly overlooking monstrous errors of syntax, grammar, and punctuation chronically perpetrated by cherishably interesting people on Arborisite.
Anyway, I think the last sentence in that article by Bruce Smith would be hard for anyone here to disagree with:
"Actions, and the demonstration of competent skills, are more telling of someone’s ability than any piece of paper."

states clearly, clearly states...what? That's one way to read it but maybe not the most accurate.

You are going to dismiss the gist of his message based on the author's interpretation of a dictionary definition?
That is like deciding not to read a book because the cover wasn't up to snuff.
I waded past the shoreline weeds in the premise, and found the swimming rather pleasant and agreeable.
Different strokes.....

The value of a certification (or diploma/degree) is completely tied to the reputation of the organization granting that certification(diploma/degree). Everyone would agree that a degree from Harvard/Stanford would have more value than one from I'm Only Here to Party University. Back in the '90s when environmental certification of forest operations was in its infancy, there were several competing organizations trying to have their certification accepted by the marketplace so they could then sell it to the forest companies. I think FSC ultimately became one of the primary ones.

So one of the goals of the ISA is to have the market accept that people they certify meet a certain standard. Once the market accepts that standard then value accrues to those with the certification.

Think of it this way. Anybody can read some books and set up their shingle as a dentist. Afterall, barbers were dentists in the 1800's. However, over time the marketplace (general public) has demanded that a minimum standard of education and skill be attained before you can practice as a dentist. Dental organizations/boards were established to determine what those standards would be and to regulate/discipline the profession. The ISA is becoming that organization, taking an unorganized trade/skill (dentistry in the 1800's) and defining the standards of its certification and selling the marketplace (general public/customers) on the value of that certification.

The ISA has cheapened (lowered) it's certification standards to facilitate getting more milk from Betsy the cash certification cow.
Rolling out a smorgasbord of various certifications is also goofy. ISA Boy Scouts needing more badges for their uniforms???
The value of that (ISA)certification depends a lot on the effort required to attain it. As such, it is becoming a depreciating asset.
Selling the marketplace / public is one thing. Conning them is quite another.
The lofty ideals might still be reflected in their Mission Statement, but the lilacs don't look so good anymore.

btw. a single day's registration at the upcoming ISA Ontario Chapter convention = approx. $250. ($200 + $26 tax)
The same amount of $$$ will get you a full weekend crane / climbing workshop being hosted by TreeStuff in March, which also includes a $100 gift certificate). Just sayin'

It's not depreciating that fast (all of our perceptions are skewed), and it's still the only game in town. Or is there an alternative certifying body for arbs?

http://www.isaontario.com/sites/default/files/2014_Conference_Package_Dec12.pdf looks like a lot for the money. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Re where you spend your money, it depends on what you want and need.

Kathy is a lifeguard at my community pool certified in cpr and whatever other lifeguard certifications you should have to be a lifeguard. Billy also is a lifeguard but holds no certifications. If my daughter was drowning in the pool, I pray Billy is on duty. He would scoop her her up in a hiccup. Kathy would go into shock and have to be air lifted out with my daughter.

My ISA certification was a one week commitment between studying, and testing. Am I a Kathy? I think there is a happy medium between Kathy and Billy. " This message is not meant to be chauvenist."

I personally believe that there is also quite a bit to be said about diligent self study, self teaching, and a very seemingly UN... common thing these days called common sense. I've seen some certified ISA boys in action do some things that have made me say, o_O rrrrrreally? Not hating on them by any means, just saying. And have also seen my fair share of just tree fellas call out and make exactly happen what they say will happen, happen. Over and over again. I dunno. Some are good on paper, some at life. That's just how it is in any aspect of life though. Least for what I've witnessed. And also, we are all better or worse at different things. We all really just need to find our place with whatever it is we do. Just my two cents for what it's worth. Climb safe everybody. Officially or unofficially. :)

Latest posts

Back