To rebuild or fix ole Kubota 722e?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus103363

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi. I recently got a fairly new lawn mower. It has a Kubota 722E Diesel engine, which I want to use for a future build...a log splitter! Anyway. Took the engine off the mower, which by the way is complete, its a kubota tc1860. The engine was full of some gray sludge! Way over full! I took the head off expecting to find a blown head gasket. All looks well. No visible cracks in either the head or the block. We took the front timming cover off and found that a freeze plug had come out and wedged behind a timming gear. doesn't look like it hurt anything, but what a mess! Looking her over, there isn't any bad scoring in the cylinder walls. i filled them up with oil and they didn't leak. everything turns freely. I have cleaned as much as possible. Should I completely dissemble clean and rebuild, or just replace the freeze plug clean what I can and button her back up and hope for the best? I am looking at about $250 for gaskets, and another $300 for new bearings and piston rings. and probably $100 for machine shop work and look over. If i put her back in the mower (which is actually a very nice mower) I could easly spend another $400 on belts blades and fluids. What do you all thjnk?
amesyhet.jpg
5ery7upa.jpg
abujamyv.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends, how many hours are on it? Unless it's showing a lot of wear and/or is high houred, I wouldn't bother with a rebuild...

SR

The hour meter shows 1500 hours. The cylinder walls feel good, but I am just gonna hone and re ring the pistons and put new cam and crank bearings. One valve is hanging farther open than the rest so we are also gonna do a valve job too. As bas as I want to use this for a project, it looks like it's going back in the mower. It's in too good shape to junk it. There is an old prentice log loader that has been junked and sitting in the edge of the woods down from my house. I'm gonna see if I can buy that Diesel engine out of it to use for my project....but that is a whole other thread!

Latest posts

Back