too old or

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtx

Reaction score
Hi there I want to be tree climber ,however at 40 years old 6.2 and 230lbs have I left it too late, I live in the UK, thanks in advance GTX

you as old as the woman you are feelin............well thats what my bird said to me and she is 23....:) though seriously if you can lift your own body weight and feel agile enough there is no reason you cannot do it,

I am a contract climber and work with various ground crew for different people and i would say some of the hardest grafters that i have worked with are 40 plus given a option of two newbie 19 yo groundies or i one hard working 40 plus bloke, i would take the 40 yo, if you feel physically capable and like heights and fancy fine views, go for it you have nothing to lose, probably best off getting to know some tree climbers and see if you could have ago climbing first to see if its for you.....before you spend money getting you tickets.

Base

P.S where in the uk are you

Thanks for the positive replies guys, I do think masterblaster has a valid point!, shedding a couple of stone certainly would help!
Been studying arboriculture about a year now, and just getting into the practical aspects of climbing.
Wish I knew what I had wanted to do at 18! still better late than never.

Thanks again GTX

As long as your're in decent health, and it's what you wanna do, go for it.

You'll probably be healthier DOING it than not!

Best of luck and wishes.

In answer to Bases question the Norfolk broads!
And yes would be a good idea to do some climbing with someone
whos experianced first, those NPTC tickets sure aint cheap !

Regards GTX

Don’t know if this helps, I am 37 and am Appling with the local iuoe union to gain an apprenticeship in Heavy Equipment. I should know in a couple weeks if I am accepted or not. I also like chainsaws and chainsaw milling. All this and I have been in high tech for the last 15+ years. I think they call it a mid-life thing.

Rob

I dont know Rob?
Midlife crisis or just now know what I want to do as oposed what I know I dont want to do [plater/sheet metal fabricator/welder].
Good luck in getting your apprenticeship!

Regards GTX:D

Originally posted by Oregon_Rob
Don’t know if this helps, I am 37 and am Appling with the local iuoe union to gain an apprenticeship in Heavy Equipment. I should know in a couple weeks if I am accepted or not. I also like chainsaws and chainsaw milling. All this and I have been in high tech for the last 15+ years. I think they call it a mid-life thing.

Rob

Well got it in the mail today, I'm in. Training doesn't start till may thought, but yahoo!:blob2:

Hey gtx, I'm kinda in the same boat your in. I'm 45 and am trying to bust out of the laboratory. I went to a week long class to learn to climb and since then have had a couple of jobs on the side. Since I can't just quit my job since I have a family to support I've been trying to do stuff on the weekends to see how things can turn out. I'm sure after doing some climbing those extra pounds will drop off fast and you will feel better. Anyway 40 is still young and if you situation allows you you should go for it!

I am the same size as you, but 23 years yunger. Climbing is great exersize (sorry Rocky, I can't spell, but my grammer isn't bad).

Go for it!

Carl

u aint going around but one time fella .. live it the best u can..
good luck.. and if u peel out of an tall pine to end this story.. some how get back to us about how the trip dn was..thrill a second or two..:)

Back