Top cover bolt on ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Stihl 362... was cutting... worker noticed something on the ground. Picket it up and one of the top bolts fell out and a bunch of washers. This is one of the top cover bolts that you turn about a quarter turn to loosen or tighten and it locks in place. I have not been able to reseat this bolt. Anyone have a solution? It has a hook on the bottom end that holds it in place. Maybe I lost a washer, could that be it? I found 7 or 8.

Am curious, would it come from the factory with multiple washers? I bought it used years ago.

Stihl 362... was cutting... worker noticed something on the ground. Picket it up and one of the top bolts fell out and a bunch of washers. This is one of the top cover bolts that you turn about a quarter turn to loosen or tighten and it locks in place. I have not been able to reseat this bolt. Anyone have a solution? It has a hook on the bottom end that holds it in place. Maybe I lost a washer, could that be it? I found 7 or 8.

Am curious, would it come from the factory with multiple washers? I bought it used years ago.
I pulled the cover on my 400 that has the same style cover,I think. Looks like only 1 washer maybe a second one under the screw head. My suggestion is to see if one of the guys may have a shop manual over in the beg for manuals stickie that may have info on it. I've never had to work on one of those covers. Good luck.

Oh, wow, so it does come with a bunch of washers.

Thanks for that info. Hmmm... my washers don't look like that. Looks like the one on the left in your pic (which might be a silver color?) is a single washer and the rest are 'double' washers. I have one silver washer and five black ones. They are all 'single.'

Ok, hope it will hold... got it to seat and latch by putting two more washers on that I found. I could tell that the screw must be missing washers because the other two in the top cover were 'different' as far as their depth out of the plastic.

The silver washer that is on mine... it has a rough inside edge, like it, literally, broke off something. Something isn't right in there. But maybe it will hold. I hope so because that part would cost me $22 tot costs online!

I have two Stihl saws (261 and 462) that both have broken the very small rod in the body of the saw, which this Twist Lock screw turns into with a quarter-turn of the screw. The thin rod that receives the screw is broken, gone, so the screw has nothing to connect to. In retrospect I realize that dust and grime had deposited in that stack of washers and that quarter-turn twist had gotten harder and harder to turn, because the fit was tighter and tighter, until the small rod gave out and broke. Does anyone know the parts and procedure to replace this small rod in the body of the saw?

I have two Stihl saws (261 and 462) that both have broken the very small rod in the body of the saw, which this Twist Lock screw turns into with a quarter-turn of the screw. The thin rod that receives the screw is broken, gone, so the screw has nothing to connect to. In retrospect I realize that dust and grime had deposited in that stack of washers and that quarter-turn twist had gotten harder and harder to turn, because the fit was tighter and tighter, until the small rod gave out and broke. Does anyone know the parts and procedure to replace this small rod in the body of the saw?
I believe the part you are referring to is not replaceable. It should be part of the lower housing assembly. Try this: Stihl 0000 430 9900 jmho :cool:

Back