transplanting a redwood sapling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgpc

Reaction score
I need advise on transplanting a redwood tree sapling. After much protesting on my part, my landlord cut down a 50 year old redwood that was too close to a fence and wall. She didn't remove all of the stump/root below the ground and now it has saplings growing which are about 3' tall. Is it possible for it to survive if I dig down and remove the portion that the saplings are growing out of? How much do I need to cut? Do I immediately transplant or do I put it in water until it roots? Please help! I loved the tree and would like to save it if at all possible. Thank you. :)

I`ve never tried to transplant a redwood, but I think its definetly worth trying anyway, I would wait until early spring, just before new growth sets in. Dig down around the sapling and a good portion of the roots, taking particular care to not damage them. With a sharp pruning saw, sever the root at the desired spot, maybe treat the cut with a rooting hormone to facilitate the transplanting and plant the tree immediately and keep well watered. It may also be a good idea to stake the sapling in the ground to keep the roots steady in the ground until they are established. Me personally I would train your sapling into a bonsai tree, due to the sentimental value of the tree to you, if you cannot find an ideal home for such a large tree. Good luck.

Back