Transporting Firewood Cross-Country: Legal or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amangamek

Reaction score
New to the forum; seems like the best place to post this question: I'll be driving a 1/2 cord of mesquite/oak from central Texas to central Oregon to cook some true Texas BBQ. Does anyone know if there's some random law against taking "foreign" wood into another state (particularly TX, NM, UT, ID, OR)? I understand the whole invasive species angle. The wood is well seasoned, appears to be bug free. It will remain inside my truck's covered bed until it's time to burn, then it will be burned inside an enclosed box. Do I need any kind of permit? Just curious if "they" could confiscate my wood, should I be caught going a little to quickly! Leaving in a week for some cooler climes. Is this anything I should worry about?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

You'd have to check your local laws, as well as those of where you're going to be absolutely sure, but usually it is only illegal to remove wood from a quarantine area. So if for some reason your area is quarantined, then you could be in trouble. If not, you're probably okay.

The only law I know of in New Mexico is that to transport any "woody product" you must have proof of ownership.
I don't know what they expect if it is cut off of your own property, but I have made myself out a reciept for my own wood before.:dizzy:

Andy

most of the states east of mississippi have bans of one sort or another--because of eab--and not joking--theyve been talking about it on another forum---so---- CHECK YOUR STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New to the forum; seems like the best place to post this question: I'll be driving a 1/2 cord of mesquite/oak from central Texas to central Oregon to cook some true Texas BBQ. Does anyone know if there's some random law against taking "foreign" wood into another state (particularly TX, NM, UT, ID, OR)? I understand the whole invasive species angle. The wood is well seasoned, appears to be bug free. It will remain inside my truck's covered bed until it's time to burn, then it will be burned inside an enclosed box. Do I need any kind of permit? Just curious if "they" could confiscate my wood, should I be caught going a little to quickly! Leaving in a week for some cooler climes. Is this anything I should worry about?

Thanks for your help.

Roger

No Problem, If you get stopped, Just tell the officer that the Firewoodguy said it was OK. Good Luck !!
P.S. Make sure that you bring enough bail money with you.

Latest posts

Back