Tree cutting question??????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy2b

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was just wandering???? To get some feed back on when to drop a tree???
(I myself) always work with the seasons....
I figure I'll drop all my timber in the fall of the year when the water is pulled deep in the roots of the tree??? I figure it will be less drying time for good fire wood??? For next years firewood?? let mother nature work with you than against you???? Any comments????????????????????????????????????????:confused:

A lot of people cut late in the year when it's cool and let it dry out until the next year. I get it when I can because I never know when I'll be able to find more.

Danny

The availability of the wood and time available to cut it is far more important than trying to save a bit on drying time.

Cut your trees when you have time to do it.

The theory of 'less water' is only slightly more reasonable than the 'cut and let the leaves suck the moisture out'.

Harry K

I do my cutting in the winter months. The crops are out of the fields. I don't like dealing with the heat, humidity, bugs and undergrowth during the summer.

I'm 3 years ahead, so drying time doesn't mean much to me anymore.

yup, winter

I do my cutting in the winter months. The crops are out of the fields. I don't like dealing with the heat, humidity, bugs and undergrowth during the summer.

I'm 3 years ahead, so drying time doesn't mean much to me anymore.

I do 90% of my cutting in the winter (when I'm not snowmobiling, of course). :cheers:

In the past, I have waited until January..old schoolers always said that is when the sap is all the way down, but this year I'm going to start as soon as the leaves drop, right after Thanksgiving here in Va. I did not have time to get "ahead" so to speak, last year...need to get 1-2 yrs. worth piled up.

His location says he's in Cuba, I lived in Miami for 28 years, winter down there lasts from about january 1st-10th, I'd imagine Cuba being 200 miles more south it'll be even less, also the heat down there will dry any tree in 2 months or less. although once in Jr High I did see it snow in Miami. Just 1 flake every few seconds, but was still cold enough to snow. people down there put jackets on when it gets below 65*...

There actually are still leaves on the trees at Thanksgiving in Virginia? Miami actually got snow? Learn something new every day I guess.

heating with wood in Cuba? I would have never dreamed they would have any need for anything that produces heat, much less a need for a woodstove.
Maybe they think 70 or so is cool?

Agreed

The availability of the wood and time available to cut it is far more important than trying to save a bit on drying time.

Cut your trees when you have time to do it.

The theory of 'less water' is only slightly more reasonable than the 'cut and let the leaves suck the moisture out'.

Harry K

I spread my cutting out over the whole year, with less being done in the warm months and most being done in the fall. A wood cutter should never utter the words "I'm bored." There is always something to cut or split.

heating with wood in Cuba? I would have never dreamed they would have any need for anything that produces heat, much less a need for a woodstove.
Maybe they think 70 or so is cool?

Someone needs to invent a wood fired air conditioner!

My dad always told me... "you know when the best time to cut is? When you have a saw in your hand"
works for me
:chainsaw:

Someone needs to invent a wood fired air conditioner!

Now I would say that it is possible. The refrigerator in my camper runs off of a propane flame when on the road. I don't know exactly how it works but it works. It keeps the refrigerator nice and cold.

Danny

Yes, Oldchuck

The leaves turn around 2nd-3rd week of Oct. here in Va. Takes a couple of good hard freezes to loosen them up so they can drop. But in some years, leaves turn, then with a lot of wind, are gone in a week.

I cut trees when people contact me and say they have trees for me to cut. All based on availability. I do like to split the rounds more in the fall and winter. Nothing like splitting a bunch of wood in the snow and than coming in for a warm cup of coffee and a fire.

Although he said he was from Ohio, for what it's worth, I actually saw a stove shop in Hilo, Hawaii last month. They sold soapstone stoves and inserts. We had to check it out if only on the principal of it. My wife simply rolled her eyes, again.

Josh

Now I would say that it is possible. The refrigerator in my camper runs off of a propane flame when on the road. I don't know exactly how it works but it works. It keeps the refrigerator nice and cold.

Danny

absorption heat cycle

I havent found much for adapting unless you like messing with dangerous poisonous gasses. there has been literally hundreds of refrigerants used & experimanted with, but most are dangerous... like if they develop a leak will kill you... so untill something safe is figured out... & I have a friend who does industrial maintenance & refrigerants air conditioning & cooling for a living & we have done alot of talking this subject. & no good ideas yet...

Randy

Latest posts

Back