Tree Information Data Sources

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross Burrus

Reaction score
Hello ...

I am interested in choosing trees which must meet certain constraints for special circumstances -- For example for growing under power lines where trees must have limited height. Also the shape of the tree is of interest (for providing canopy for the undergrowth).

Please post the URLs to tree data sources that give tree shape (i.e. profile grahiic), preferred soil pH range, and typical attained height (egg. after 1 year, 5 years, 10 years, 50 years, 100 years, ...), climate region preference, drought tolerance, etc.

Site with Photographic images would also be nice.

Most of this stuff is out there (on the web) but it like finding a needle in a haystack. Common varieties (which grow in the Southeast US are of interest as well as exotic species).

Having this type of information on the forum would be a big help to me and to other seeking detailed tree data.

Thanks in advance to you knowledgeable folks ...

... Ross Burrus
:blob2:

You can try and contact your local power company and see if they have a list of trees recommended for under power lines. You can also search for the Tennessee Urban Forest Council on the web and see what they have. I know our local power company and the NC Urban Forest Council put out a booklet on trees recommended for under power lines.

Also check out this link and see what if it helps.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8617.html

Paul.

Call a local city forester... in east tennessee you have several...
Also, call tom simpson at TN state forestry
(Phone (423) 908-4434) - he is the regional urban forester

UT extension service has good publications also... free at any of their offices or download from website

Back