Tree Service Owner Charged In Death of Employee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a quick web search on him before the conference and didn't come up with much.. I know he's published a lot of info, so its out there... you juts gotta find.. Or get your local ISA chapter to bring him in.. he teaches EHAP too..

Business Owner Found Guilty In Death Of Employee

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=37f7db6e-b4cf-4a61-9179-3cd8665c59bd

BRENTWOOD – An East Kingston business owner was found guilty of negligent homicide for causing a fatal workplace accident that killed his employee, 22-year-old Jon Paul LaVigueur, in August 2007.

A jury returned a verdict against Maurice Buzzell, 53, late Tuesday afternoon in Rockingham County Superior Court.

I can tell all from experience at least in VA OSHA could care less about ANSI standards. If a tree is involved in an accident in Virginia the 1910 logging standard will be enforced. Does not matter if it is a a 2 man crew pruning a maple from a house or a whole team doing lot clearing. Treework = logging in Virginia. This is a sad story for all involved and from the looks of the articles the company owner had some scary work practices. Prayers to all involved and be careful.

Sent out by OSHA:

Tree company owner guilty of negligent homicide in worker death

The owner of Buzzell Tree Service of East Kingston, N.H., was found guilty, by a jury, of criminally negligent homicide for causing a 22-year-old worker's death. The employer could face between three and seven years in prison. It is the first time in New Hampshire history that a jury found an employer guilty of criminally negligent homicide as a result of a death that did not involve a motor vehicle. The employer paid $12,000 in fines as part of a settlement agreement with OSHA for violating safety standards resulting in the worker's death.

Crazy

As much as some of you guys complain about Osha and whatnot the truth is that with out osha and whatnot we would all be under the gun like John Paul.

Last edited:
Maurice Buzzel may just as well have pushed that young man under the tree. This is gross negligence.

If the rope was long enough there is no way the tree could have fallen on him.

If he had adequate training for the job given him he may well have gone left or right with his coworkers.

If he had a hard hat on he may have recovered from his injuries.

If the escape paths had been cleared he may well not have tripped and died.

I own the company. I am responsible for my guys. Why does it take a young mans death for simple rules to be applied and enforced?

I hope the prosecution is succesful and that the result is broadcast loud and clear.

Yes this is a dangerous industry. Which is exactly why employers need to meet or exceed their legal obligations to their employees.

its a shame but no matter how much everyone preaches saftey and common sense for the most part people will continue to make careless mistakes.

if the rope was that short i mean comon now what could someone be thinking i always try to use twice the amount of rope that is needed thiers no need to be near something like that.

its a shame but no matter how much everyone preaches saftey and common sense for the most part people will continue to make careless mistakes.

if the rope was that short i mean comon now what could someone be thinking i always try to use twice the amount of rope that is needed thiers no need to be near something like that.

Matt I cannot agree with this. In Australia we have a thing called "Duty of Care". Simply put it means an employer is supposed to look after his guys. The evidence we have to date shows that the owner did not provide enough equipment, training or supervision for his crew.

I have worked with some very foolish people. I have even employed a couple of them. They didnt last long.... But they left alive and well, not in a pine box.

In my opinion, and I do mean MY opinion, this employer should be behind bars. Negligence resulting in death warrants that penalty.

My condolences to the family.

Latest posts

Back