tree survive girdling with plastic twine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjohnson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a 10' colorado spruce tree and after loading into my truck I noticed that the nursery had left some orange plastic twine around the trunk for too long. After removing it, I discovered that the trunk had been girdled so that the base narrows from about 5'' down to about 4.5'' where the twine was, then back to 5'' or more at the flare. The bark appears to be intact but smoother than the rest of the tree. The nursery gave me a one year guarantee because of this, but I'm wonderin if anyone has advice on whether the tree is likely to make it, and if so, will the narrowing at the trunk slow the growth?

Hey
It will probably be OK but it might be weak at that point once it gets big!
To bad but keep a eye on it or take it back if it is not already planted.
If something is wrong take it back and do it right from the start
Good Luck
John

Here is a picture

Here is a picture of the tree trunk. I haven't planted the tree yet, but it is extremely hard to move and I don't want to take it back if I don't need to. Also, does anyone know if one year ("guarantee" period) will be long enough to tell if this will be a problem?

Re: Here is a picture

Originally posted by msjohnson
Also, does anyone know if one year ("guarantee" period) will be long enough to tell if this will be a problem?
No, it won't be long enough. With sufficient moisture, the tree wil make it past a year considering other factors are acceptable. The constriction there will likely be a minor inhibitor of growth and adjustment.

But, if it were my tree, I would bring it back to the nursery right away. It would be just a small hassle for me for the moment, but it would mean getting what I paid for and desired in the first place. :eek:

I would bring it back if it was easily done, but I wouldn't be too concerned, either.

Latest posts

Back