Tree with HUGE Leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerlylocks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what kind of tree has enormous leaves... (8-10 inches is not out of the realm).. has light brown furry berry like clusters growing upward, spread like wild fire (shoots are sprouting from the roots underground).... and grew about 25 feet in about 2 years? :confused:

Not a mulberry

Thanks for the thought. I looked up the pictures, and the leaves are not similar. The leaves of this tree do not have lobes. They are enormous heart shaped leaves. When the leaves are young they have slightly serated edges, but as they get larger, they are smoother. There almost seems to be a very thin brown fuss on the back of the leaves... similar to the fuzz on the upward growing...... ????? things. The upward growing brown fuzzy nobs are in clusters. Is there any way to post a picture on this site?

I can't figure out how to post a pic in the post itself, but you can attach a pic. At the bottom of where you type your post, there is a "attach file" line. Hit the 'browse' button and find your pic in your computer, attach it and post. We will be able to click on the attachment to see the pic.
I know what tree you are talking about, but can't think of the name. I'm slightly allergic to it and itched like crazy for a week the last time I had to cut one down.
The 3 things you lose when getting old, first is memory...................... :rolleyes:

Will post a picture later today

Thanks! I am going to take a picture a litte later and do that. It is a most bizarre and very fast aggressive growing tree!!!

Thanks John

You are really a wonderful guy to take the time to read everyones posts.... Unfortunately, that isn't the tree either!!!! I got so into yeardwork today, I haven't taken a picture yet, but intened to by tomorrow at the latest.:p

THat must be it!

:blob2: Very good! So the tree will have flowers in the spring from all the upshoots of furry little gold/brown buds, huh! It is very invasive.... Don't know where it came from, but in 2 years it has grown about 25 feet tall. Thanks for the info!!!!!!

Pauwlonia or empress tree was imported from the orient around the turn of the last century. It is on many states prohibited list. The wood has nice grain and is highly valued in Japan.

It is like Ailanthus, comming soon to a chainlink fence near you.

John,
Ailanthus was my guess until i read the last couple of reply's. can you tell me where to find a picture of this tree you refured to? It's a new one on me. Thanks.

Paulownia tomentosa

http://search.dogpile.com/texis/search?q=empress+tree&geo=no&fs=web

UConn does not have any pictures, here are a few others.

pato1a.jpg

pato1b.jpg

http://www.orst.edu/dept/ldplants/images/pato42.jpg

Paulownia.tomentosa.gif

JPS

How'd you get that pic IN the post without having it as an attachment??? I've tried a couple times and can't do it.

There is a button above the message field labled IMG. Click on it and paste the URL there. Make sure to you dont get two sets of HTTP in the address.

pauwlonia.jpg

This is a picture of the current state of the buds on the Paulonia tree, they are all over the tree right now. I have some other photos of the whole tree, and can take some of the bark. For some reason a couple of the pictures did not turn out.

Latest posts

Back