Tree wound??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to try to get a pic of this leaner with a wound. I want to know what the wound is from.

This lady swears it is getting bigger. It has had some large limbs amputated - probably a good 2/3 cut off.

I don't think it is lightning.

I'll try to post

That was a pic of the mott of oaks. The leaner to the left is the one with this wound/callus

More pics

(that sure is a nice looking rig in the background):p

It is just that lower part coming from the left.

What do you suppose that damage is from??

I'll share my theory later.

wound

This type of wound occurs in large honeylocust if you take out a large part of the crown on one side or two large branches one above the other. The tree reacts with a die back all the way to the base 6"-12" wide, in the summer on the side facing the sun. I've seen it happen even when Davey sent there best guys out the trim up a tree. I have seen it in other trees when they are raising the crown and cut large limbs one above the other rather than cut one this year and then one next year or the year after giving the tree time to heal in between. It occurs more often in times of drought. The bark stays on for a year or two so the homeowner does not notice it right away or until the bark falls off. You will notice a line of sap oozing out little drops down both sides of the die back the first year when it happens and if you pay attention you will notice the woodpeckers are working the tree at that location, they know it is dead and have come for the bugs that can now attack the tree or find a home under the bark now loose of the tree. They see the sap and think the bugs are working the tree over before the bark has fallen off. Just my observations over the years. Lightning strikes usually take the bark off immediately, instatainious to the strike.

I've seen lightning struck trees like that where the water in the explode the wood and bark out.

Looks like it is a few years old.

I cannot see signs of a target canker-like repeated dieback and growth. Looks like there is an advance of woondwood allbeit slow.

My vote was that it was due to the large limbs being removed. What you see of the crown is about 1/3 of what it was. The other 2/3rds was removed in 2 cuts. Bad flush cuts!!

Thanks for donating your opinions, just please don't send a bill:p

How about another tree falling against it and causing the damage?
Greg

Lightning strikes can definitely cause the seperation of the bark from the sapwood. However, the time required for the bark to fall off is the variable for it could happen instantly or over a period of months to years.

With the leaders of this tree being so close together it is highly unlikely that the damage was caused by a lightning strike. For if lightning was the causal agent, signs and symptoms should have appeared in other parts of the tree by now. The callus tissue of the wound indicates that there has been a number of years between the injury and the present, therefore allowing sufficient time for the symptoms to surface. I say this because neighboring trees typically show the effects of an indirect lightning strike. This is sometimes due to root grafting or electrical current flowing through water found within the macropores of the soil. Either way the damage is evident.

Therefore, without seeing the tree or knowing its past, I would have to agree with Treetx by saying that the stress of the dramatic loss of foliage and energy reserves lead to its current state. Whether due to the large pruning wounds or the reduction in OEP (Oleorasin Exudation Pressure = responsible for xylem/phloem sap flow within the tree) therefore creating an entry point for alien entities. Regardless, damage is done and may remain a mystery!

Might be that when the branches were closer to the ground someone may have pulled on that branch to break off a limb when it hit him in the head while mowing. Causeing a stress crack.
Obviously the walls of codit are breaking down due to low vigor and or poor health.
Also I would say if I saw large flush cuts above this type of crack then that would be a frequent cause of this type of structural breakdown.:confused: :p

Thanks for your time. I am leaning away from lightning myself.

The pic is not clear but so you know, live oaks in central tx tend to grow in motts. All of those stems are seperate trees. This is due to the fact that their main form of reproduction is via suckers. The result is a yard of trees that are genetically the same tree with a common root system.

Thanks again

Nathan

Back