Trying to determine what went wrong with the maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdnich

Reaction score
I had a red sunset maple planted after leaf out a couple of months ago. Things were fine for 4 - 6 weeks until the leaves started to change to fall colors and within 2 weeks the whole thing was brown. I had some new sod installed at the same time the tree was planted, so the area was getting plenty of water. The problem may have been too much water. The weather turned very dry a few weeks after planting, and I started supplementing the irrigation system with water directly to the tree. The tree may have also been planted with the root bulge a few inches below grade. I have attached a couple of pictures of the leaves as they were in the process of changing colors to see if an expert eye could tell me what was the main culpret of the tree's demise, so I do not repeat the mistake a second time. Thanks.

Don

I had a red sunset maple planted after leaf out a couple of months ago. Things were fine for 4 - 6 weeks until the leaves started to change to fall colors and within 2 weeks the whole thing was brown. I had some new sod installed at the same time the tree was planted, so the area was getting plenty of water. The problem may have been too much water. The weather turned very dry a few weeks after planting, and I started supplementing the irrigation system with water directly to the tree. The tree may have also been planted with the root bulge a few inches below grade. I have attached a couple of pictures of the leaves as they were in the process of changing colors to see if an expert eye could tell me what was the main culpret of the tree's demise, so I do not repeat the mistake a second time.

Are you saying that you planted it after it was leaved out?

How much mulch is around the tree? Did you try to put grass right up to the tree?

You may have over watered it to the point that the roots rotted, having it buried to deeply just added to the problem. Go scratch a branch with your thumbnail and see if it is green anymore. The tree might still be alive and push out new leaves in the spring, though I suspect your going to find it's dead or mostly dead due to being planted too deep and being over watered.

Can you post a picture of the base of the tree / ground?

Jamie

Are you saying that you planted it after it was leaved out?

How much mulch is around the tree? Did you try to put grass right up to the tree?

It was leaved out by the time it was planted and turned hot and dry shortly there after. There was several inches of mulch placed right up to the trunk. I have attached a picture of the trunk that shows the scence after I dug out the mulch and several inches of wet soil. You can't see it very well but the top of the root bulge may be visibile at the very bottom of the hole. Stems do not appear to have much green with a scratch. Thanks for your help.

Don

View attachment 189690

Next time, plant a bit high if not flush, defiantly not low. Planting a little high and mulching doesn't hurt anything Some mulch can and should be over the roots, but don't bury the top in soil at all. However you do it, just don't let it get buried again.

It would be best to wait till fall or next spring to plant again.

Jamie

from what I've learned here looks to be too deep and if that is wet like that all the time then too much water also.....

Latest posts

Back