Tub grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejdpuller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
While I am not new to the tree industry, I am not super familiar with tub grinders. I am very used to and familiar with disc and drum chippers, I am looking at purchasing a tub grinder or something similar to take of process all of our odd shapped and oversized logs. I don't see any size capacity ratings on any tub grinders (such as most chippers are rated as 12 inch 18 inch etc, is it safe to assume then that a tub grinder will chip anything as long as it fits in the tub? I realize it may not be the fastest or most efficient, we have thousands of yards of tree butts and odd shaped logs(up to 48"in diameter) that have piled up over the years and our county is really cracking down on burning, so we are looking for alternatives. This stuff is the junk of the junk, I can't even give it away if I haul it to people. Most companies rate their machines in yards per hour, but I am looking for actual chipping capacities. The only manufacture I can find that puts a size rating on their machines are Lane recycling(puma) however, their smallest machine (around 200 horse) they list a 8" capacity, their medium sized machinne at 425 horse they list 12-16 inch and their big machine at 700 horse they list at 36". Im not looking to turn this into a brand war, I am simply stating they are the only manufacture I have seen so far with a size rating.

I investigated this and other options, to rid the property of tree debris that I could not give away. Compared to renting 30 yard roll offs for $500, that will haul the material to a recycling center, a grinder cost was prohibitive.
My neighbor burned his debris then buried the ashes.

You do have to be careful. Tub grinders do have size ratings. For example, the Morbark 950 only handles 8" material. I would suggest visiting manufacturer's websites to find out the size that you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment
770-420-6400

I investigated this and other options, to rid the property of tree debris that I could not give away. Compared to renting 30 yard roll offs for $500, that will haul the material to a recycling center, a grinder cost was prohibitive.
My neighbor burned his debris then buried the ashes.
I wish we could burn, like I said the county is cracking down hard, some of this stuff unless you kept adding smaller stuff or another fuel, I don't know how well it would even burn.

You do have to be careful. Tub grinders do have size ratings. For example, the Morbark 950 only handles 8" material. I would suggest visiting manufacturer's websites to find out the size that you're looking for.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment
770-420-6400
I appreciate the reply, do you know where it would be listed? Wouldn't be the first time I've been accused of being half blind, but I've looked at mobark, diamond z, vermeer and they list transport weight, width , screen info, engine stuff, yards per hour, drum diameter etc but none of them that I can find list diameter specs of chipping capacity. Ive called our local mobark and vermeer dealer and neither will return a phone call. We currently run all bandit equipment, and have a great dealer but they don't make any tub grinders. Again I don't want a big brand debate, I was just stating I have reached out to dealers but they don't return phone calls, and the dealer we do have good luck with and whose brand of equipment we run don't offer anything.

Do you have anyone around that has a big grinder? Local guy here that does bean roasting, and grinding. Shenk I think his name is. One of the local municipalities gets him in once a year to grind all their brush, trees and woody waste. They would come get our 938 cat to load it with. Seen it eat some big butt like it was nothing. Any way he has a day fee for renting it.

I grew up in Belleville, IL. I would contact Matt Linn, at Alexander Equipment in Chicago (630-663-1400). He will know all the sizes of the Morbark tub grinders and he may have what you're looking for. Something else to consider, if you could get a burn permit, I would dig a hole that would meet the criteria for a burn permit and get a burner. Unless you're selling the product that comes out of the tub grinder. It's a lot less expensive than a tub grinder. If you're not familiar with a burner, it throws air to the fire to help it burn quicker. There are a lot of used ones available on Machinery Trader.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

Do you have anyone around that has a big grinder? Local guy here that does bean roasting, and grinding. Shenk I think his name is. One of the local municipalities gets him in once a year to grind all their brush, trees and woody waste. They would come get our 938 cat to load it with. Seen it eat some big butt like it was nothing. Any way he has a day fee for renting it.

I appreciate the suggestion, there is a local guy with a huge tub, but he refuses to do any contract work, another guy I found about 80 miles away had me send him some pics of my pile, etc and he gave me a price but its been excuse after excuse of him actually coming to do the job. I appreciate the suggestion.1

I grew up in Belleville, IL. I would contact Matt Linn, at Alexander Equipment in Chicago (630-663-1400). He will know all the sizes of the Morbark tub grinders and he may have what you're looking for. Something else to consider, if you could get a burn permit, I would dig a hole that would meet the criteria for a burn permit and get a burner. Unless you're selling the product that comes out of the tub grinder. It's a lot less expensive than a tub grinder. If you're not familiar with a burner, it throws air to the fire to help it burn quicker. There are a lot of used ones available on Machinery Trader.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
I will give them a call and I'll look into a Burner. I don't sell the mulch, or product off a grinder, it is more of just a evil necessity at this point, I have to do something with all of it. I didn't realize a say 8 ft 200 horse tub grinder wouldn't grind all that large of stuff. Like I said, I didn't figure a say 200 horse 8ft tub would grind it fast or efficient but I was wondering if it would grind it, I'll definitly look at the burner thank you.

I appreciate the suggestion, there is a local guy with a huge tub, but he refuses to do any contract work, another guy I found about 80 miles away had me send him some pics of my pile, etc and he gave me a price but its been excuse after excuse of him actually coming to do the job. I appreciate the suggestion.1
That's a bummer.

Latest posts

Back