Ugh! China Berry Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ManyRoots

Reaction score
When we moved into our house, there was a China Berry tree growing too close to our pool (in ground) and we were afraid of the roots growing towards the pool. We had the tree chopped down in November of 2003, except that we kept the stump. (We have a little pagoda on the stump.)

Now we have China Berry sprouts coming up everywhere!

I tried poring weed and root killer on the stump (after drilling holes in it) and even poured gasoline on it yet the sprouts keep coming back.

Removing all the roots is not practical- they stretch out for many feet (even under the sidewalk) in several directions. Please, anyone have suggestions? (Oh, yeah, we're here on the west central coast of Florida, north of St. Petersburg.) Please help!

I don't like Chinaberry trees much. They are very persistant little rascals. Can a stump grinder get to the location of the stump? If so, have someone come out and grind it down, along with as much of the root system as practical, and keep those suckers mowed down. What else is growing in the area, if anything?

china berry

Thanks for the info. I called an aborist who said that the china berry roots are usually several times as long as the tree is (was) tall! Ugh! I'm gonna get someone to grind the stump, but I don't think it will be possible to get all those roots. Would it help to cut the roots away from the stump? Thanks again!

The arborist you called should be able to compleately sever the roots from the stump with the stump grinder. You don't want him going all over your space, grinding every root within reach of the stumpgrinder, and I'm sure that he doesn't want to either. It's just not practical. The reason that I asked what other plants were in the area was so that I could get a general idea of what you want to do with your space once you have taken care of the Chinaberry. Is the area going to primarily be turf, flowering shrubs, or another tree? Once the stump is gone, the remaining roots may propagate new suckers, but without the stump to draw resources from, and with competing vegetation, they won't stand a chance, unless you have turf. Which you would likely keep mowed, and after several seasons of mowing the Chinaberry will give up the ghost.

I will make the assumption that since this is near your pool, you might want some sun in the area, which would rule out planting another tree. But you know what happens when assumptions are made. Do you have a landscaper, or do you take care of everything yourself? Perhaps a few well placed hibiscus could be the answer. If taken care of, they will make it difficult for the Chinaberry suckers to make their living. JMHO

A fresh stump-cut then a Garlon treatment will work also.Treat the newly cut stump area.

See also the thread titled, "Neighbors oak tree sprouting in my yard". Triclopyr is the herbicide found in Roundup, and if I am not mistaken, Roundup has the highest concentration of triclopyr available over the counter. I have not used it on a Chinaberry stump, but I have on others with fair results. If you decide to use an herbicide in your yard, and you get a bottle of concentrate, you will need to dilute it as strong as the label advises to kill a Chinaberry imo. You don't want to get this stuff on you! Use caution when handling and follow the instructions and warnings on the label. An empty shoe polish bottle makes an excellent applicator.

almost surefire killing method

We had those in our yard when we bought our house. It looks like we've exterminated them. Here's how:
1. paint the trunk with roundup concentrate immediately after cutting
2. let sit a week or two with concentrate on it
3. have stump grinder take out the main stump
4. sod over roots to block out light

We've only had one root sprout (one that was sticking up out of the ground that we missed with the sod) and it has been almost a year since we cut the trees down.

Good luck. Make sure to keep on top of all of the new seedlings too. They like to hide in hedges until they get really big and are difficult to get rid of.

Latest posts

Back