use for ashes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Quick article on 30 uses for ash. Of course, several of the 'different' suggestions are for lye, and several more for repelling bugs. Still, it was a potentially helpful read, although I'm not so sure about rubbing it on furniture with a piece of bread to remove stains.....

https://humblelore.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/30-uses-for-wood-ashes-you-never-thought-of/

1. Make lye water out of ash. You can boil 2-3 spoons of ash (clean white/grey fluffy ash) with water and then filter it with a coffee filter. Lye water is a great cleaning agent and sanitizer for clothes, floors, windows, silverware, plates, and even rust in marble.

You can also make lye by adding the fluffy white ash in a cheesecloth. In a bucket with holes on its base, you add the cheesecloth and ash, and hang it somewhere high. Add the water. Underneath, place another clean bucket to collect the lye. The lye has a brownish colour, so you remove the bucket when clean water starts to sip through. Test the lye by adding a fresh egg in the liquid. If the egg floats, the lye is good to go, if not, repeat the process.-For use in soap making.

2. A paste made out of ash and water, can remove stains from furniture.

3. If we want to remove a stain from clothes the moment they happen, we add a bit of ash and after about five minutes, we rub it with the crumb of a bread (not the crust, the soft white bit).

4. Ash is a great odour repellent, just add a bit over the area that smells. eg, kitty litter.

5. You can remove odours from a fridge, by adding a plate of charcoal ash inside. Change the charcoal over, until the smell is gone.

6. You can use it to brush your teeth. (recipe here)

7. You can wash your hair with lye soap and rinse with vinegar. This is especially good for oily hair.

8. Lye is used in many foods and sweets. Like grape must pudding (moustalevria), honey cookies (melomakarona), and in bread. It makes bread fluffy and prevents it from crumbling. Lye is also good for the cleansing of the intestines.

9. Ash was used for many years in farming. It recycles the natural nutrients back into the earth. It can be used as compost but does not include Nitrogen. It aids in the increase of the earths PH level which in return, aids in the growth of the plants. (But because of the ongoing increase of the PH level, not all veg and fruit thrive from it. eg potatoes).

10. It strengthens plants that love calcium, such as tomatoes, vineyards, beans, spinach, peas, avocados, garlic etc. Even rose bushes. You can add 1/4 cup ash before planting.

11. One spoon ash per 1000l of water, strengthens underwater plants.

12.It prevents plants from frost in winter, if you add a layer of ash over them.

13. Animals hate ash. You can rid your garden of insects and various parasites, such as slugs and snails.

14. You can rid yourself of ants. If you throw some ash in their colony, they will be forced to relocate, as they can’t move the ash.

15. Spread some ash in the corners of the house, or dark spots of your cellar etc. For as long as there is ash, no mice/rats, cockroaches or insects approach.

16. It repels lice, ticks and fleas off animals. You make a thick paste of ash and vinegar and spread over the fur. It’s messy, but it works.

17. It repels clothes moths. You can add some ash on your stored clothes, and simply shake it off when you need to use them. You can leave them for years this way, and nothing will happen to them.

18. Lye is used to make soap (potassium hydroxide). It’s a bit of a lengthy process, but its worth it.

19. Ash is used for “immortal eggs”. In a recipe used in the Middle East, they preserve eggs in a mix of clay, ash, salt, lime and rice rind for many months.

20. Sodium Carbonate, can be made out of ash. It is known to be an excellent product, used as household cleaner. Boil water and ash, until it evaporates. The remaining substance is your Sodium Carbonate (Soda).

21. Ash contains salt, and can therefore melt ice.

22. The charcoal collected within the ash, can be used as a filter.

23. You can use charcoal to filter blurry wine.

24. You can use charcoal to filter water before drinking.

25. Charcoal in metal containers can be used to remove humidity in cellars, cupboards and under sinks.

26. You can put a fire out quickly by throwing ash over it.

27. In the older days, they used to preserve seeds in large clay containers, by adding a thick layer of ash over them. This prevented insects from destroying their produce.

28. It can be used in wounds, to kill bacteria and aid in faster healing. Melting hand made soap in lye water and rinsing a wound with it without rinsing over it with clean water.

29. No fridge? No worries! You can preserve your fruits and vegetables for many days, even years, by digging a hole in the ground and filling it with ash. Add your veg and fruit, ensuring enough space between them, so that they do not touch each other, or the muddy ground. Seal the hole with a piece of wood, and you let it be.

30. In the olden days, to preserve the fresh rennet, they added it in a bone animal horn, filled it with ash, sealed it with mud and hanged it from a tree. This ensured the rennet lasted for many many years.

Yea... the tooth brushing thing with ashes not happening here.

They do sometimes go out on the (dirt) driveway and farm road where it is icy. As soon as the sun hits it... they start drilling holes in the ice... Other than that they go out to the compost pile.

I also empty the ash in the garden and put it on the ice buildup on the way to the barn so I don't brake my **** again:eek:

You need a longer driveway :D

Yep, we do this too
Hehe, Yes we do, but not for that reason.

I spread them on the yard. It does not look pretty, but the sun melts the snow quicker. I set up a sand and salt barrel on the porch so he doesn't feel the need to put them on the driveway. Sand is lot easier to brush off shoes and boots than that paste that the wet ash makes. We don't have enough driveway for all that ash.

I save it for the driveway. But not right close to the house - need come clean ground space for the ash to come off the shoes before they get to the house.

Will have to try the ant thing sometime though....

I pour mine on a hill above the brook.

Snowmelt and rains will bring the +ph runoff into the brook, which leads to the pond, to counter the effects of acid rain.

I have been known to spread it over the lawn lightly for the same reason.

I also spread it one the driveway in the spring.

Ashes have a very high ph. Like lime, it can kill plants if applied in too high concentration.

unclemoustache, thanks for putting up this article! I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time, but I keep forgetting to do so. I was simply wondering if it would be ok to throw ashes in the garden, but all the other tips are really interesting and worth consideration.

I always wanted to save it to make soap, but my wife uses it for the ice. We have a long path from the barn where you can park down to the house, and it gets difficult to walk on at times as the sun does not shine on it much in the winter months. Salt would ruin the yard so the ashes get used.

Some of mine goes by the gallon to my neighbors, for their gardens. Glaciers carted off much topsoil plant nutrient here, long back.

lye is good for making meth, at least thats what the addicts do with lye around here!!

This morning, everything here on the mountain is coated in ice. Daughter and the dog both slipped and fell. Whole bucket of ash got spread on the driveway, walkway and front steps. Safe for the dog, safe for the lake and lawn, and generally OK for the environment.

Would rather track wood ash through the house than salt or other chemical...

Latest posts

Back