Vermeer stump grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bailey Foresty

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience owning/operating Vermeer's SC802 or SC1102 as a direct comparison with a Carlton 7015 or Bandit 2900.
I am considering converting one of these machines to a wireless remote controlled tracked machine. But as I have no direct comparison in terms of productivity against either the Carlton SP7015 or the Bandit 2900t witch I have owed and operated both I just not sure if it's a project worth undertaking !!
I have completed many track conversion's and also produced my own tracked grinder witch can be viewed at www.baileyforestryengineering.co.uk or on facebook Bailey Forestry Engineering.
my Vermeer dealership can't help either as they have never imported either machine into the UK.
So any feedback would be appreciated.

We own an 802, 7015 and a 252. The 802 is twice the machine as the 7015. I'm pretty disappointed in the width of the swing of the carlton, plus chip containment sucks. The 7015 doesn't really grind very deep (if you are trying to replant). If you are trying to get through a gate with this Frankenstein'd 802 on tracks I'm not so sure it will fit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

We own an 802, 7015 and a 252. The 802 is twice the machine as the 7015. I'm pretty disappointed in the width of the swing of the carlton, plus chip containment sucks. The 7015 doesn't really grind very deep (if you are trying to replant). If you are trying to get through a gate with this Frankenstein'd 802 on tracks I'm not so sure it will fit.

Thanks for the feed back.... I agree, I have owned two Carltons 7015 Deutz and Kubota powered and there grinding depth is poor if your on ground that slops away or you climb the chip built up in front the tracks you hardly touch the surface......I have a bandit 2900T 114hp running a Revolution HD wheel witch is great and will grind over two foot deep & more than six foot swing....plus you can still squeeze it through a 36" gate.....but I was looking for something more productive to do some of the bigger commercial work....plus I like the drive train Vermeer use as it's almost maintenance free....no bearing's to purge or belts & pulleys to tension and align. Is your 802 the old Deutz or the new 74hp.

I believe our 802 is the 74 hp model.
If you already have the bigger track bandit I'm not sure how a 802 converted to tracks will help you be more productive. If you are used to 100+ hp in a grinder the 802 may be disappointing... I've never run a 1102 that's still a tow behind correct? I assume it comes with a bigger engine, that may be better for you.
But again if you already have a big track grinder why convert another grinder to track?

As with any hydraulic system you lose power making power....although we may have 114hp to start with at the cutter wheel you will have lost about 20%....were as a mechanical drive the loses are far less....I was also considering the 1102.

Back