Very large Tulip tree has problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently did an estimate for a client about 10 days ago and they have a Tulip tree that is having some problems.

I had to do a double take when I saw the size of this Tulip tree. It is definately mature about 90ft. tall and a good 30 -36 in dbh. Tulips are not a common species in northern Ill. but this one is at least 90 or more years old , that has been planted on a very old homestead.

I've done a little researching on Tulips and it seems they have more than there share of problems. So far I've only done a cursory examination of this tree.

The tree has been losing some large lower limbs, the leaves turn yellow early and fall off. The new growth on these infected limbs is black and died back maybe one or two seasons growth. There is a small part of the root collar that doesn't look to good either.

I know these are not good clues, but if some of you arborists that have had some experience with some of the more common Tulip tree diseases could tose a few of them my way. I can take it from there, at least I would have a direction to follow instead of making guesses.

Larry

Originally posted by Ax-man
I've only done a cursory examination of this tree.
The tree has been losing some large lower limbs,
the leaves turn yellow early and fall off. The new growth on these infected limbs is black and died back maybe one or two seasons growth.
Inner leaves turn yellow and shed midsummer all the time. Black leaves is a bad sign.

There is a small part of the root collar that doesn't look to good either.
This is the area of the tree where a complete and thorough examination is needed. Check roots in that area too. Cursory doesn't get it; you need to spend time on this and you should not do it for free.

Sounds just like the one I murdered a coupla months ago. 93'-er. Sure made a helluva squeal when I cut it, too. Thing screamed bloody murder. Yea, it was healthy, too.

Latest posts

Back