Video of 1/4 cut technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the side cuts are too avoid peeling

clearance-Thats how I start my saws? Whats wrong with it?

It looks stupid, seems that if the saw doesn't crank then the handle could hit your nuts. I started a thread here about drop starting, many whined but no one had been injured by it. Whatever, have fun, start it your way. Never seen anyone start a saw like that here in 20 years.

It looks stupid, seems that if the saw doesn't crank then the handle could hit your nuts. I started a thread here about drop starting, many whined but no one had been injured by it. Whatever, have fun, start it your way. Never seen anyone start a saw like that here in 20 years.

In 20 years I havent hit myself in the nuts doing it that way yet! Thats the great thing about arborsite, you pick up on things you might not normally see. (I do drop start my 88, its to hard for me to start conventionally)

Just try it, working in bush and slash its really good, very controlled.

We're discussing felling small diameter trees over in logging and someone pointed me to this video/thread.

So I thought I would ask here about those two shallow side cuts below the face and back cuts... (I've never seen this done, so wondering what the reason is???)

Them is called "relief cuts" aren't they?

Interesting technique Ekka.

Always looking for new things to put in my bag-o-tricks.

Fred

Them is called "relief cuts" aren't they?

Relief cuts, Pins, Ears, that's what I have heard them called. The cuts will allow the tree to break off clean if it tries to peel down the side of the stump. Very critical to do this if you are making a cut in the tree and you have your buckstrap around the tree. If the cut is allowed to peel down you can get sucked into the trunk and squeezed bad. I know from experience. I peeled a big bastid once and thought I'd be pissin blood.
It's a couple seconds well spent, especially when something doesn't follow the notch perfectly, it really pays off.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back