Vintage Homelite To The Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechanizm

shimi super-pit
Reaction score
I decided to clean-up some of the limbs of a fallen tree due to hurrican Ian. (all the big, old-growth oaks have been blown over in North Port, Fl and likely everywhere else in Iran's path...). I hadn't started any of my chainsaws in about a decade so I wasn't hopeful that I'd get one running without having to work on it but I got a Ryobi running despite a cracked primer bulb. But it needed more gas because it was not idling and bogging at high rpm so I went to adjust the screws and noticed that there are no screwdriver slots in the adjusters. I assume that these are covers so they know if we've been adjusting the carb in case of warranty, whatever... but it really made me angry.... I thought that it was going to be easy but soon began dropping parts on the grass so I smashed the pos and threw it away. No more life will be wasted on it..... I then went to look at my other chainsaw options and I have three vintage homelites. I got out the automatic, squirted some fuel mix in the carb and it fired right up and idled! sure it's heavy and somewhat dangerous but I was able to finish the job with a saw that looks like it hadn't seen love since the showroom after the newer saw let me down. I'm going to go back out tomorrow and cut some more with it..

I'm a fan of old Homelite saws. I have a couple 6 cube Homelite gear drive saws that are fun to pull out for GTGs, but my 955 VI is just fun to cut with. Not the lightest 82cc saw I own, but it's wide torque band and low rpm grunt is something modern saws don't have.

I decided to clean-up some of the limbs of a fallen tree due to hurrican Ian. (all the big, old-growth oaks have been blown over in North Port, Fl and likely everywhere else in Iran's path...). I hadn't started any of my chainsaws in about a decade so I wasn't hopeful that I'd get one running without having to work on it but I got a Ryobi running despite a cracked primer bulb. But it needed more gas because it was not idling and bogging at high rpm so I went to adjust the screws and noticed that there are no screwdriver slots in the adjusters. I assume that these are covers so they know if we've been adjusting the carb in case of warranty, whatever... but it really made me angry.... I thought that it was going to be easy but soon began dropping parts on the grass so I smashed the pos and threw it away. No more life will be wasted on it..... I then went to look at my other chainsaw options and I have three vintage homelites. I got out the automatic, squirted some fuel mix in the carb and it fired right up and idled! sure it's heavy and somewhat dangerous but I was able to finish the job with a saw that looks like it hadn't seen love since the showroom after the newer saw let me down. I'm going to go back out tomorrow and cut some more with it..
Very few saws have slotted adjustment screws anymore, there are at least 3 different types of screw heads in common use and the special screwdrivers are cheap on the internet. Many AM carbs from China still have slotted head screws.

Very few saws have slotted adjustment screws anymore, there are at least 3 different types of screw heads in common use and the special screwdrivers are cheap on the internet. Many AM carbs from China still have slotted head screws.
You can still access the low jet on some carbs, but taking the carb apart and removing an internal plug to expose the adjustment screw. I found the video on how to make the modification on youtube, and unfortunately thought I would remember the location of the plug. It has been so long since I made this change to the carb I was working on, that I have forgotten exactly how to make the mod.
I went looking for the video, and could not find it, but there is a low speed jet on the newer carbs, but they are hidden by a plug.
Another trick for the carbs with the new, special adjuster. I was in the practice of grinding down the exterior shield to expose the adjustment screws, and then cutting an adjustment slot in the needle. I was thinking, there must be an easier way, and I found it. If you take a short piece of plastic tube or neoprene hose, you can trim it, so that it fits inside the guard, and yet slips over the needle. Adjustment is done by turning the neoprene tube. It works like a hot damn. Another source of thin was plastic tube, is the shield from the end connectors for electrical wires. This solved an aggravating problem on many of the trimmers I have fixed.
Bob

You can still access the low jet on some carbs, but taking the carb apart and removing an internal plug to expose the adjustment screw. I found the video on how to make the modification on youtube, and unfortunately thought I would remember the location of the plug. It has been so long since I made this change to the carb I was working on, that I have forgotten exactly how to make the mod.
I went looking for the video, and could not find it, but there is a low speed jet on the newer carbs, but they are hidden by a plug.
Another trick for the carbs with the new, special adjuster. I was in the practice of grinding down the exterior shield to expose the adjustment screws, and then cutting an adjustment slot in the needle. I was thinking, there must be an easier way, and I found it. If you take a short piece of plastic tube or neoprene hose, you can trim it, so that it fits inside the guard, and yet slips over the needle. Adjustment is done by turning the neoprene tube. It works like a hot damn. Another source of thin was plastic tube, is the shield from the end connectors for electrical wires. This solved an aggravating problem on many of the trimmers I have fixed.
Bob
Yep, we have all come up with some method of turning those special screws but if you are going to be working on a number of different saws, the special tools are cheap and make life a lot easier.

but taking the carb apart and removing an internal plug to expose the adjustment screw
yes but when you are trying to get a job done the last thing you want to do is take your chainsaw apart. even so I looked at it and what a mess. I was in no mood to try to fix it. it's now in a landfill somewhere.

You can still access the low jet on some carbs, but taking the carb apart and removing an internal plug to expose the adjustment screw.
yes, i know but it pissed me right off that they put covers over the adjustment screws. what is the point? ! all I had to do was increase the idle a tad but no no... there has to be a stopper.

but today I fired-up the Homelite XL Automatic again and got a lot of cutting done after I sharpened the blade. this is the only saw that i actually wiped-down before putting it away. what a gem...

A butt connector will often work. Slide over head of screw. Might need to squeeze a bit.

I'm a fan of old Homelite saws. I have a couple 6 cube Homelite gear drive saws that are fun to pull out for GTGs, but my 955 VI is just fun to cut with. Not the lightest 82cc saw I own, but it's wide torque band and low rpm grunt is something modern saws don't have.
Hey John Lyngdal, your from the area that I grew up around when I was a kid! I lived in Veneta and went to high school in Elmira Oregon. I wish I lived closer to you my friend! I live in Beaverton Oregon now and have a hard time finding any chainsaw nut cases such as myself around my neighborhood. They all stare at me like I'm outta my mind because I own 140 chainsaws! I can't figure out what's wrong with them? 🤣

Latest posts

Back